Segmented Chairman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chrisjan

Chrisjan

This one spent months in the planning dept. before I got together the guts to attempt it. Funny enough it came out exactly as planned (except for the custom finial which came out off center) but the effect is not exactly what I wanted. I'll try one in 6 segments instead of quartered. But never the less comments and critiques welcome...

Attachments

• image-2663771609.jpg
    image-2663771609.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 301
  • image-2381932158.jpg
    image-2381932158.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 193
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Lots of work there - nicely done!
The quartered segments look great to me, but it will be interesting to see it side-by-side with a 6-segment version.
I like the b&w combo too - really striking.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it looks great...spacing and alignment look spot on. The whole pen is very striking.
What effect were you hoping for?

Chrisjan

@skiprat: I think I wanted to see more than one line down the length at a quick glance... As I write with it or when its lying down you only see a single line of contrast. And when you twist it to see 2 lines you loose the contast...

Maybe Im just being pedantic

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Chrisjan, if you have the ability and equipment to do six sides accurately then go for it. :)
'Pedantic' is my middle name but I think that a PERFECTLY made simpler design is always far more impressive than a complex design with even the tiniest flaw.
Nobody else will see the flaw but it will bug you a lot. Good luck :)

OZturner

Beautiful Segmented Chairman, Chris.
Love the Quartered B & W Segmented Body, and the Aluminium Inserts.
I appreciate what you are saying about the visual Impact that a Hex segment would give, and I know that you will undoubtedly give it a try.
If you do, please post the result regardless of success, or lack of.
Making mistakes is an Essential Element of the Process of Invention and Innovation.
Excellent Fit and Finish.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Chrisjan

I spoke to the people where I got the blank from today... and then learned that Andybear actually made and supplied it... Thanked him for it in our SA forum

hebertjo

Well done segmenting! I would make 2 suggestions:

1.) Either remove the gold center band or change it to a black one.
2.) I think it would look really cool if you put aluminum between the black and white segments, essentially all checkers would be outlined by the aluminum.

6 segments would look cool but what you have is great too!

Chrisjan

Tried to get the chrome ring of the CB to get to the gold but was afraid of damaging the plating - not as loose as a Jr Gent

Did a 3D model of 6 segments to see what the effect will be, should have a more checkered look I think...

image-319384550.jpg

Top Bottom