Segmented Celtic Double Knot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from darrylm

darrylm

I was talking to GaryGMg about this pen other day. I told Gary that I hadn't seen anyone create a celtic knot using segments. Gary mentioned that he hadn't seen one done either and was quite anxious to have me get off my butt and get it done.

to my disappointment, Gary did some searching and stumbled across this pen by VisExp (which looks fantastic by the way!): http://www.penturners.org/oldalbums/VisExp/segmented celtic pen.jpg

well... what the heck, I figured I'd do mine anyway. I used Sapele as the main blank. The segmented knot is made of Maple and Cherry. I have to thank Gary for the wood selections as they were his suggestion. I built a new jig that would give me an 8 piece segment rather than the 6 piece segments that my last pen had.

ok, fine... picture time:
tn_segmentedknot01.jpg

tn_segmentedknot02.jpg

tn_segmentedknot03.jpg

I've used Russ' CA/BLO finish. I think this is the best one I've done yet finish wise. The kit is a black TI from Wood-n-Whimsies.

comments/suggestions are always welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GaryMGg

Darryl,
Great looking workmanship. Your pen is quite different than Keith's (VisExp). Both are excellent.
You hit it dead on and accomplished what you were after.
I think you've shown something that hasn't been seen to date.
The color doesn't look right but that doesn't detract from the quality of work.

VisExp

Nice work Darryl. Segmenting the celtic knot sure does complicate the construction process ;) It took me a couple of times to get everything to line up when I made my pen. Looks like you nailed it first time.

darrylm

Originally posted by johncrane

Thats cool but can you show it all.:D

Now that it's finished, I can show the whole pen!

tn_segmentedknot04.jpg

Thank you for the compliments, I'm pretty happy with how this one came out.

Top Bottom