Segmented Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from thetalbott4

thetalbott4

Ok, here is another example of something I envisioned when I started, and when it was done I was disappointed. Not with the segmenting or drilling, which was fairly straight forward, but the over-all look.

First off, I didnt like the chrome as much as I thought I would. My first thought was black ti, but I thought it would be too much black because the black segments would be next to the black metal parts. Now I think it would have been better with black ti.

Next is the cap. I didnt put enough arc on it to match the body. I also think the cap would have been better off in blackwood alone (except the final, which I like). The pen is a little busy and that would help tone it down.

With the body, the flare at the end is too big. I also think I should have alternated the dots with two, then one, and so on or something like that.

I'm interested in hearing how other people see it as it is, what they think about my ideas or how they would do it better.

Attachments

• Seg Baron RB Resized 2.JPG
    Seg Baron RB Resized 2.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 226
  • Seg Baron RB Resized.JPG
    Seg Baron RB Resized.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

I like the pen, Scott. If I were to change something to "tone it down", I would consider swapping the black and maple. Also, a darker red would make it a bit more subtle(ie. dark bloodwood).

Nothing wrong with it the way it is, but there you have my .02.

PaulDoug

Will, I thought I like it until you told me everything that is wrong with it! Ok, I agree somewhat on two. Black Ti, I am a big fan of and always seem to prefer it to any other.

The flair at the end is a little big in my opinion but, not that much.

It's a great pen anyway you look at it.

jskeen

Ok, here is another example of something I envisioned when I started, and when it was done I was disappointed. Not with the segmenting or drilling, which was fairly straight forward, but the over-all look.

First off, I didnt like the chrome as much as I thought I would. My first thought was black ti, but I thought it would be too much black because the black segments would be next to the black metal parts. Now I think it would have been better with black ti.

Next is the cap. I didnt put enough arc on it to match the body. I also think the cap would have been better off in blackwood alone (except the final, which I like). The pen is a little busy and that would help tone it down.

With the body, the flare at the end is too big. I also think I should have alternated the dots with two, then one, and so on or something like that.

I'm interested in hearing how other people see it as it is, what they think about my ideas or how they would do it better.

Ok, you asked for opinion, here it is. I make no claims as to it's scientific validity or anything like that. Over all, I like the pen. Workmanship, fit and finish, ect all look great.

I think black ti would have looked fine, but not a huge improvement over the chrome. I do think that if you had used a jr Gent instead of the baron, the matching threads would not have broken the design up as much as the black ones on the baron (when you see them)

Can't say I'm with you on this one (except the finial, which I like too). I think the transition from the segmented body to the plain black cap would have been very jarring. I think the fact that the cap is almost B to B works great, BECAUSE the body is more or less one curve up to the nib. A double curve on the cap would have reversed this visual sweep and made the pen look topheavy.

I'd have to hold it and write with it a bit to call that one on feel, but visually, again, I think it works very well with the straight cap. I do think that some variation in the dot pattern might have been a plus, but you never know.

All in all, I think it's a very nice design. It might not have been what you were trying to get out of your head into your hand, but that's ok, Try again to do that one, but this one works fine in my book.

Mr Vic

Scott over all a great job.

But since you asked...The body looks like you should be stuffing it into the chamber of an elephant gun....leave off the flare and go straight or very slightly taper it.

The cap has black-white-red bands and on the body you have black-white-black-red...kind of of breaks the symmetry. I think leave out the blackbetween the white and red.

On the barrel end try a slice of aluminum and then match with a piece similar to you finial. Once polished and CA'sd the aluminum is about as close as you'll ever come to chrome...

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I think it looks perfect just the way it is. And the accuracy of the segmenting is astounding!!!:eek: There was definately many hours of careful measuring and planning in that pen and you should be very pleased with the result. Well done!!:biggrin:

Rfturner

Great job on the pen. Your segmenting is sharp. I think that the taper at the end could be reduced but it does pull and direct you eye to look over the entire surface of the pen.

thetalbott4

Thanks for all the comments and ideas. Sounds like I wasnt too far off. I think the pen is interesting and came out ok from a skills standpoint. My concern is when you ask someone to pay a bunch of money for something it should look "perfect", meaning that when you look at it, you think "I wouldnt change a thing, everything about it has a purpose, place, and flow".

I understand that everyones version of perfect is different so thats why I put it to the forum to see how my version compares to others.

jttheclockman

Scott

You know my opinion for when I first saw it I liked it alot and still like it with all the flaws that you call flaws. I would leave it alone and make a new one with the things you mentioned but to me this one is a winner. :good:

Top Bottom