Segmented Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draken

Here's my first really indepth segmentation. I was inspired by other pens I've seen posted here, so please let me know what you think. The Baron is Black Ti, and the woods are Holly, Bocote (I think...), some unknown wood (the scallops) and some black dyed veneer. Finish is lacquer.

200741024013_BaronSegmentBlackTiCS.jpg

200741024033_BaronSegmentBlackTiOpenCS.jpg

Feel free to tell me what you honest opinions are.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alxe24

Very nice pen and craftmanship. The one thing for me, is the bocote was not the right wood for the accent(and this is me) don't shoot me. But you did a heck of a job letting the holly totally whilte whitout stains. My regards for that as well.
Alex

Mikey

Looks nice and I like the materials used, but would have gone for something even darker than the bocote. Also wondering how the scallops got so out of whack because it looks like the other parts are drilled perfect.[?] I wonder if it would be possible to add some inlays into the white portion to dress it up a little. That would look really sweet with some silver. In all, great idea and it reminds me of a nice pool cue.[8D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
It looks good for your first serious attempt. In my mind, the three different sized bocote bands give the pen an unbalanced look. The scallops also appeaar to be unbalanced, if you intended them to be the same size.

Draken

Thanks for all the comments. The scallops are a bit off, they are supposed to be the same. I'll need to work on that when I try this again. Also need to work on getting the end bands consistent as Lou pointed out. It was a great learning experience and hopefully my next attempt will be even better.

I've had this blank glued up and sitting in my shop for the longest time. Took forever to get up the nerve to drill it, as I knew if I was off on my drilling, the whole thing would look like cr@p. I need to find a shallower angle for the scallops, the 45 degrees seems a bit too steep, at least to me.

GaryMGg

Better than anything I've done yet. I'm totally impressed and when the page first loaded
I thought Man, oh man. Oh, yeah; great job.
The more I looked at it, the more I question certain aspects. My critical element says:
The scallop is too big in proportion to the bocote accents and/or the color is wrong.
While the scallop removes some formality from the design, I think it'd be better with a more formal look.
I expect the accent surrounding the CB (top of lower barrel and bottom of cap) equals the thickness of the accent on the bottom of the lower barrel which was a good idea but it doesn't look just right. Perhaps with the same accent at the top of the cap rather than scallops it would have. Or else, they should increase in thickness proportionally from bottom to top.

Looking at this one really pushes me to start making some segmented blanks and try my hand at this.
Thanks.
Gary

Stevej72

Wow, great looking pen! I would love to try something like that but I first have to learn how to drill a hole straight through the middle of the blank.

chigdon

I love it. I am acutally the only one, other than Draken, who thinks the Bocote makes it. I think the distinct grain pattern is a nice contrast with the geometry. The scallops (which look like bloodwood to me) are the only thing that throws me off. What I REALLY like is the fact that it is all wood. I love the fact that the white is holly rather than acrylic, etc. Very nice pen.

latech15

I thinnk the craftsmanship is excellent. That is definately more than I have attempted. Personally, I think the pen is too busy. That is just my personal opinion. I tend to think that a lot of the segmented pens are to busy though.

Keep up the good work and you will get it right. Remember, you asked for our opnions but the only one that really matters is yours!

GaryMGg

Originally posted by chigdon
<br />I love it. I am acutally the only one, other than Draken, who thinks the Bocote makes it. I think the distinct grain pattern is a nice contrast with the geometry. The scallops (which look like bloodwood to me) are the only thing that throws me off. What I REALLY like is the fact that it is all wood. I love the fact that the white is holly rather than acrylic, etc. Very nice pen.

If my post communicated anything to say I don't like the bocote then I'm not clear. I do like the bocote, black veneer, and holly combination. And, I love the fact that it's all wood. I not partial to the reddish scallop and I may have tweaked the thickness of the accent bands, that's all. It's a wonderful pen.

Gary

Jerryconn

Very Nice James! I really like your choices of wood, I know what kind of effort you had to put into the glue up. Good job keep at it!!

gerryr

Extremely nice work for your first significant venture into segmenting. Try 20-30 degrees for the scallops and I think you'll be happier with it. Nice choice of woods, but the color of the scallops seems to throw it off some, blackwood might have been a good choice.

Draken

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Extremely nice work for your first significant venture into segmenting. Try 20-30 degrees for the scallops and I think you'll be happier with it. Nice choice of woods, but the color of the scallops seems to throw it off some, blackwood might have been a good choice.

Thanks for the suggestion, would that be 20-30 degrees from the centerline? I'll need to start working on my next glue up soon, once I get the reclaimed wood taken care of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom