segmented attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jonjon

jonjon

I decided to try some modest Gisi style segmenting. It gave me an appreciation as to why people charge a little more for the blanks. There were a few woeful moments in the process when a piece of the blank blew out. But with a little persistence it managed to come back together. Overall fairly happy for my first go at it.

Attachments

• segmented pen.jpg
    segmented pen.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 340
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jonjon

Pictures of my Jigs. I made a jig so that I could get everything squared and angled. It has a 30 degree and a 90 degree guide. The board on the bottom side fits really snug on the bed of our Jet lathe bed. I got a face plate with really great tolerances for sanding and it seems to be working.

Ed it is an elegant sierra.

Attachments

• Jig 1.jpg
    Jig 1.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 198
  • Jig.jpg
    Jig.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent pen and an impressive jig. I'm always amused when folks get all antsy with their jigs - often simplier is better.

Well done.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Excellent work! Excellent.

Work like that is art and art costs more because of the time invested and skill developed, plus it draws customers.

I read Sam Malloof's Woodworking book some years ago and I don't remember if it was in the book or in another article that I read somewhere else, but one item went somewhere like this: He made his chair and sold it for $5000. People bought them and sold them for $10,000. So He started selling them for $10,000. People bought them and sold them for $15,000, so he started selling them for $15,000.

In the early 2000's he was getting about $25,000 for his base rocking chairs. (Of course a few of his chairs commanded about 10 times that.)

Well done artistic design commands a higher price.

OZturner

Glorious Segmented Pen Jonathan,
Stunning Blank, Beautifully Aligned, and Located, the Proportions are Spot On.
Excellently Turned, Fitted and Finished,
And Truly Made for the Hardware.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom