Segmented acrylic scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Big

Big

I was looking at the scraps from the acrylic blanks that I have used to make pens. I remembered seeing and reading about various segmented wooden pens and thought, what the heck. So, I glued up the scraps, drilled them, turned them and made a pen. Honestly, I didn't think that it would survive drilling much less turning but to my surprise and delight, it did. Thought it turned out to be kind of cool.

Attachments

• A Duo A.jpg
    A Duo A.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 413
  • A Rose Gold A.jpg
    A Rose Gold A.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 256
  • Acrylic Hybrid A.jpg
    Acrylic Hybrid A.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
OK BIG...

Pretty 1960's funky!!!

Your color matches stink! There is no thought to which scraps match! And the blanks are still a bit "thick."

But... REALLY cool pen! It is a great experiment in segmenting, which is a great tutorial.... and it worked and it's a nice pen! GOOD FOR YOU!

Another great lesson.

Best Regards!

Reactions: Big

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
A fantastic job on both pens Michael. I really like your segmented one. I had the same thoughts when I did mine out of wood. Your work keeps getting better.

Bob Wemm

Another option to use all those leftovers is to break them into smaller bits and cast them in a clear or slightly coloured resin or alumilite. That way you don't get colour clashes.
That said, the pens are cool, and someone will love them. Nothing surer than that.
Thanks for sharing, and keep working at it.
Bob.

mrrichieboy

I met a high school shop teacher in the Boise area that had his students save their cuts and then make pens out of them. So I have saved my cuts for years, my grandkids have gotten many of these pens and they love them, both acrylic and wood cuts...some mixed. Lot's of fun and I like yours also, pretty cool! Not my shape either, but it works for you and that's all that counts, nice going.---Rich

:):biggrin::cool:

Last edited:

SteveG

How cool is that...you hear about segmenting, and the next thing you know you ARE segmenting! Nice first effort, and may many more follow. Keep having fun and keep exploring. It is all part of your new 'job description':):wink:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Cool beans Big!
Just a suggestion, I like to use a comfort centerband (or make my about that size) when I want to make a larger-bodied slimline. That way I don't have to take the waist down to standard slimline size. Just a personal preference though.

Woodkiller

I like it just the way it is. I have made a bunch of them and they always disappear in short order around here. There doesn't need to be any rhyme or reason or pattern, just grab one out of the box and glue it to the next one and go with it. Someone will love it and buy it.

Top Bottom