Seems this is the new rave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bmac

bmac

Well, it seems that decals open up unlimited options for pens. This is my first attempt
using decals. It makes a nice looking pen, but there is a slight learning curve. The kit is an Atlas and the wood is stabilized birds eye maple. It has about 10 coats of CA for the finish, then beall buffed. I think I will be making other pens using decals.

Bobby
Louisiana

Attachments

• DSCN0426.jpg
    DSCN0426.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN0427.jpg
    DSCN0427.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 343
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

You put the decal directly on the finished wood and then ca'd it?

What kind of decal and paper?

Looks great.

bmac

Thanks for the comments, they are appreciated.
Padre, I used Testors decal paper from Hobby Lobby and followed their
instructions. Then just applied CA over the decal to seal it. I applied
about 10 coats which is probably overkill, but it should hold up to
daily use.

Bobby
Louisiana

Bobalu

Padre, I used Testors decal paper from Hobby Lobby and followed their
instructions.

I've looked for it in Hobby Lobby but had no luck finding it. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place or asking the right associate. Do you recall what department you found it in?

robutacion

Well, it seems that decals open up unlimited options for pens. This is my first attempt
using decals. It makes a nice looking pen, but there is a slight learning curve. The kit is an Atlas and the wood is stabilized birds eye maple. It has about 10 coats of CA for the finish, then beall buffed. I think I will be making other pens using decals.

Bobby
Louisiana

It sure is Bobby, and the interesting thing about its start, I believe was someone with far too many "plain" wood blanks , not a lot of money to invest on other expensive materials so, covering most of the wood barrel with something glued to it, seemed a good idea and certainly transforms those plain blanks into something else, all together.

This technique is simple but I've see pens made based on it that are certainly everything but simple and indeed very ingenious execution...!

I should find someone that wants to mass produce these sort of pens and offer a couple of thousand of dry majestic olive wood pen blanks, sapwood only at a damn good price...!:wink::biggrin:

This rave , is probably a god sent, allowing all those forgotten pen blanks to become alive again and like any other raves, they come and go with time, that's just part of life...!

Cheers
George

Top Bottom