Seems to be a lot of these dip pens as of late...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Firefyter-emt

Firefyter-emt

I thought you all might like to see one I finished off tonight. I am very pleased with the look and how it came out. It is clear that I stole the style of the plastic section from vintage desk set pens. The wood is leapordwood with black PR and a CA finish. The tip is old Speedball nib that I recieved with a box of drafting tools for free. I am able to write "The quick red fox..." twice on just one dip of the pen. That flapper over the nib works very well. :D

BTW, I am kicking myself in the rear end because I had planned to inlay a strip of brass between the wood and the PR and forgot all about it until it was too late. Next time!

I am working on a funnel to make this a desk pen right now. Anyone have a spare funnel from an old desk set? I am not sure if I can make one of the CSUSA ones work with a custom funnel.

dip-pen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys... Lou, I e-mail that company about the shipping charges. I did not notice they are from Canada, but we shall see with small stuff like that.

Oh, and you might see these nib pens somewhere soon... more on that later. :D

Dan_F

Lee,

How did you adhere the pr to the rest of the pen body? Did you use a tube? The couple of dip pens that I made were made without a tube, with just a 1/4" hole drilled to house the nib holder, and turned between centers. It was very much an ad lib situation.

Dan

Firefyter-emt

Dan, I like to use a 7mm tube for the nib holder to sit in over a 1/4" hole. I center punch both ends and round the blank between centers (spur). I then take the end that was at the tailstock and hold it in my chuck while using the tailstock to center it. I then drill the hole for the tube. Once the glue is dry, I face the blank with the mill and hold it between centers again. I then remove the wood from the blank down to the tube however long I want the section to cover. Now cut a length of PR to fit and drill a 7mm hole. Use a spare tube to sleeve the PR and mill both ends flat. This process will allow the seam to be in line with the tubes. Apply plenty of thick CA and what I do is to put it on the lathe between centers to tighten it while it dries. Once dry, you mill the PR flush to the tube and you are ready to turn! Sounds long, but it's pretty easy.

BTW, that PR really looks good because it's not really jet black, it's more or a graphite. Remember that powdercoat I mixed up that did not match the jet black of a cigar kit? Well this is the left over from those pours. What is cool, it it looks just like the material used on the sections from days of old.

johncrane

Lee whats going on here mate! has a old trend restarted, as l crawl from under my rock
Now Serious! Lee thats a nice pen l like the style/shape and blank used, brings back memories of my school days. [^][:p]:D

Tanner

Nice looking pen! Excellent craftsmanship! That thing looks so cool, I can why you got so excited and forgot to add a brass strip. I really have to give one of these a try.

jhs494

Nice job Lee. You truly are a FP snob.

I hope your Dad is doing okay.

As always keep up the great work and thanks for sharing it with us.

Top Bottom