Seeing Red !!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
This blank really has me seeing Red and a little white. This Buy Acrylic Pen Blank - Fire at Woodcraft.com blank is one Evelyn picked out. I back painted the blank sliver and paired it up with a chrome Timberbits Baron II and added a matching finial. I really happy with the way it came out. All C&C are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Silver is a good "go-to" reverse color Dan...really pops blanks! JMHO...but the finial seems a bit tall and out of place.

Carl Fisher

I think the pen looks great up to the finial. This is personal opinion, but I think the transition from the taper of the kit back to a tall shoulder look (finial side profile) is a touch distracting from the pen.

Replacing a finial is a great upgrade, but if it were me I'd taper it a bit more and/or bring the overall thickness down a bit to keep the proportions of the cap.

Otherwise nice job.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thank you Charlie Jim and Carl for your nice comments, I've started using sliver after a tip from Fred (PTownSubbie) he told me that it makes the blank color pot. Jim and Carl thank for the comments on the finial, I wanted to keep the small while lines to match those on the blank.

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

I had a feeling that might have something to do with it. I was going to say if you tapered it off or shortened it you'd lose those lines. Do you have any more of the material left?

I like the blank and love the finial but would have to agree with Carl. I would have taken my skew an used it like a scraper and tapered it down a bit. I would also skinny up the barrels just a bit and get those lines straighter but that is personal preference. Overall though nice job..

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Fine....the finial is to big......the pen is to fat.......:frown: Fine then I'm not playing with you any more I'm taking my pen's and going home.....wait I am home never mind.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:. Thanks so much for your comment and critique. This is the first time I've turned this style of blank. I got to the point it is now I really liked the look, I didn't want to take the chance of remove any more material that could change the look.

stonepecker

I think it looks sharp. Very nice work.

But we all know that any pen is the best by the 'feel' of it.
That happens when the customer picks it up and likes it. Till then, we are all guessing at best.

Keep it up Dan........I like your style.

Last edited:
Top Bottom