See Mike, I do make pens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cnirenberg

cnirenberg

I made this as a prototype out of PVC C-900 water pipe. Honestly, all I can say is I'm finally finished with it. PVC is not a fantastic material to work with. It doesn't take to fine cuts or an ultra polish. It threads like a champ, but likes the coarse threads much better. I used a GST (Green Scratchy Thing) to rub out some of the tool marks on the barrel, when I saw what MM had tried to do to the cap. It was a fun project, but I think I'll stick with acrylics and aluminum. The shape came out ok, but I'm not sold on the bluntness of the nib. This was the first "clipped" cap, thanks Chuck for the pointers, I ended up using a utility knife to cut out for the clip, and a forestner bit for the recess.

Attachments

• P7250003_320x240.JPG
    P7250003_320x240.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 328
  • P7250002_320x240.JPG
    P7250002_320x240.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 213
  • P7250004_320x240.JPG
    P7250004_320x240.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 295
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Yes, you make great pens Cris. I like the design on this one too. A UTILITY KNIFE:eek:? EEEEK :biggrin: I'm not too good with those :redface: Nice work!:wink:

cnirenberg

Yes, you make great pens Cris. I like the design on this one too. A UTILITY KNIFE:eek:? EEEEK :biggrin: I'm not too good with those :redface: Nice work!:wink:
Chuck,
Yeah, I had to break out my old woodcarving stuff, and some close-seeing-eye-glasses for that endeavor.

SDB777

About how long did this project take you? Very cool(the nib could have a better taper, but I'm not sure if it's possible with the amount of material you have going on there)....

I've heard nightmare stories about trying to put a finish on PVC, and I can see nothing wrong with the finish you have, so I guess it takes plenty of patience.....

Scott (well done) B

Mapster

Cris, that is pretty cool! I hear you on the pvc... Some of it is much easier than other pieces of it. Can't wait to see it!

cnirenberg

About how long did this project take you? Very cool(the nib could have a better taper, but I'm not sure if it's possible with the amount of material you have going on there)....

I've heard nightmare stories about trying to put a finish on PVC, and I can see nothing wrong with the finish you have, so I guess it takes plenty of patience.....

Scott (well done) B
Scott,
Here is the honest truth:
I don't really stand at the lathe from beginning to finish and say " I'm done!!! Next!!!" For this train wreck I probably have 2 weeks in it approx. 2 hours in all total. The pen was a test. I tried some different methods, messed with a standard dimensioning and tried out some finishing techniques. I ended up making 2 different cap sections, remember the measure twice cut once adage? Yeah, enough about that. Mind you I drew the pen on Autocad and dimensioned it, sometimes it does pay to read the directions....

As for the finish, I used MM to 12000 and the PVC material itself didn't really respond the way acrylic does. Looked like pipe. I ended up using 400>600 and scotchbrite. Looks like a dull piece of pipe, and it is.

Top Bottom