Sedona with first attempt at segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from edavisj316

edavisj316

This pen found its inspiration from a number of places. The basic idea came from some pens that Wiset1 did a while back. The wood combination idea came from a candle holder I saw on Lumberjocks.

Thanks to all for the inspiration to try new things.

The woods are Black Walnut, Padauk & Maple. The metal is Aluminum roofing flashing [got that idea from someone on here too]. The kit is a WC Sedona in Chrome.

I think it turned out pretty good. I guess someone else did too. It sold before I was even able to get it on my Website!

Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• pens 010.jpg
    pens 010.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 196
  • pens 013.jpg
    pens 013.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 139
  • pens 015.jpg
    pens 015.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 206
  • pens 016.jpg
    pens 016.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 121
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

Looks like you did a pretty good job with your first one! I like the color combinations and that is a great pattern to get your feet wet with! The pen is nicely masculine and that is how I would promote it if I were selling it (shape, size etc.) Finish looks pretty nice as well.

Linda

jasontg99

Wow. I have been turning two years and still have not attempted any segmenting. I think it looks great. Only negative thing I can think of is I think the bottom is out of balance with the cap. It looks a little thicker. Other than that, great job.

patmurris

Very nice indeed for a first. Good choice of wood colors.
The aluminum adds that little classy touch that makes it special too.

BTW How thick is the aluminum?

Texatdurango

.........Your comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Nice execution but I think I would have made the colored segments a little thinner and not carried the segments so close to the ends of the blank. And as mentioned above, to me the pen looks akward when capped with the bottom being "fatter" than the cap..... or so it appears in the photos.

edavisj316

Thanks for the comments. I am trying to do the best work I can and the constructive criticism is appreciated.

I went back and looked at the specs I used on this pen. The cap is turned to 15.5 mm and the body is turned to 14.33. That is 1.87 & 2.06 mm proud of the bushings. But I see what you are saying that the body looks thicker than the cap. I think the width of the stripes along with the lighter stripes against the dark field make the body stand out making it look larger. I made two blanks. If I put the other one on a Sedona, I may adjust where the strip hits the end so that more of the walnut is used.

The next time I will also cut down the stripe and use a steeper angle. I used 60 degrees because I did not like the look of 45. Somewhere in the middle must hit the sweet spot.

BTW How thick is the aluminum?

The flashing came in a pack of squares from Lowes. It is 0.25mm.

wiset1

Hey Ed, this looks like a pretty awesome take on mine. You did a great job and in time we'll all be looking to you for inspiration. Keep it up!!!

This was mine:
5431150689_425a45c4c2.jpg

edavisj316

Thanks guys. And yes, Tim, that is where I got the inspiriation. I see a lot of pens on here that I say, "Man, I would like to do that." But then we each one need to put our own twist on things.

I have been working in the shop off and on today, enginering a small thickness sander for my drill press, so I can more easily make different sized wood. I have a proof of concept that works better than I could have expected. When I get a working & adjustable design I will be posting pictures.

Ironwood

I like the look of that. The proportions and colour contrast looks just right.
And as has already been said, the aluminium sets it off nicely.

Top Bottom