Security Themed Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevenpetry

stevenpetry

Had a commissioned job from the chief for a full sized majestic with our patch on it. While I was at it, some our SWAT team members were interested something as well. And while I was at that, why not make one for myself.
1_1548177_555468425773_8221827775947897704_o.jpg

Chief's pen. Full size gold majestic with double dyed buckeye burl. Both finials replaced to match, and waterslide decals added to both pen and cap.
1_1941488_555468495633_8859205571911898386_o.jpg

This one is purely a sample for the SWAT team, as each specific one will have the team members' number placed on the patch. For some reason, the black edged decals seem to bleed out the worst, so this one looks a little off.
1_1082269_555468415793_1593608670427266555_o.jpg

And this one's for me.
1_892974_555468380863_9212275980403590154_o.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on how to get the decals to not bleed, it'd be greatly appreciated. I let them dry for most of the day before spaying the clear, then a full day before cutting and applying. The problem gets worse if I squeegee the edges, so I just set them on and let them sit. Thinking about printing the next ones on white backing without a border, then print the border on clear backing and laying it over it. That way the border has some clear beyond the ink to help it from running.

Anyway, as always, thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Squad of Pens Steven.
Excellent Idea and Exercution.
Sorry I have no experience with Decals, so I can't be of assistance.
Great Fit and Finish, and choice of Hardware.
Congratulations,
Brian.

ashaw

Steven
I use Krylon Fine Art Fixatif. It is a spray on varnish for artwork. I use four light coats and let dry 15 minutes per coat. After the final coat I let dry 4 hours to overnight. No problems with bleeding.

kruzzer

The pens are great... I've done several decal pen and use testor's decal sealer and have no problems with bleeding
My question is how do you get the colors so vibrant on water slide decal's?? I always have to use either holly or maple otherwise the decals just wash out and you can barely see them...

Akula

Pens look good. Your right down the road from me LOL I never knew Nasa had a SWAT team(s) :)

Growing up in this area, we could visit just about all the buildings and go on tours. How times have changed

stevenpetry

The pens are great... I've done several decal pen and use testor's decal sealer and have no problems with bleeding
My question is how do you get the colors so vibrant on water slide decal's?? I always have to use either holly or maple otherwise the decals just wash out and you can barely see them...

These were printed on white backed paper. Otherwise, I would've had to put them on a light colored blank to use clear paper.. The printer is set to print on glossy photo paper.

The bleeding issue has got me stumped though. These are covered in 4 good coats of testors sealer, so what I think is happening is because the edge is basically unprotected after cutting, water is pulling the ink out. The problem gets much worse if I use a paper towel to squeegee the decal out. You can see the ink on the towel afterwards. Think I'll give the krylon stuff a shot.

Anyway, thanks to all for the comments. Delivered chief's pen today. He immediately went running around the office showing everybody! Lol But, that provided for a few more requests!

kruzzer

Steve thanks of the info on the type of decal you used.
As for the bleeding maybe try giving them another coat of sealer after you cut them out. That way the exposed edge would get sealed....just a thought

Top Bottom