Second "worthless" epoxy project

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

382501_387488664644538_1947178078_n.jpg

539794_387488931311178_964979547_n.jpg

559160_387488867977851_47583649_n.jpg

557135_387488834644521_1659742141_n.jpg

This came out of the bottom blank. It's the spalted oak I'd mentioned earlier. Figured I'd take a crack at it. Still had bubbles as expected. Found a faster fix. Just got them cleaned out, padded some CA, sanded, padded 5 or 6 coats of thick CA and took a freshly sharpened gouge to it and stripped it back to the right surface. After that, finishing was a breeze. Not a perfect finish, but considering how rough this wood always is, it came out good enough to make me happy.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

I get the feeling that my limited color selection is holding me back a little on this. It's all pearl colors, there's only 6, and it's tough to get just the "pop" on the colors I'm looking for. I don't know how happy I am with the balance of colors, but it's done, no turning back.

watch_art

That's pretty cool! I like the blue by itself. If you could mix a bit of black with the blue to make it darker - that would give you more pop.

Drstrangefart

That's pretty cool! I like the blue by itself. If you could mix a bit of black with the blue to make it darker - that would give you more pop.

Terein lies the issue at hand. I have Silver, Pearl, Gold, Lavender Blue, and Green. And they're all pearl versions. I'd prefer to have solid opaques because the pearl just doesn't shimmer properly when mixed with the epoxy. It's still not a terrible effect, just not quite what I was going for.

robutacion

I get the feeling that my limited color selection is holding me back a little on this. It's all pearl colors, there's only 6, and it's tough to get just the "pop" on the colors I'm looking for. I don't know how happy I am with the balance of colors, but it's done, no turning back.

It may be so but, is your need to make cut outs in blanks due to not having any blanks with natural flaws, or bits missing...??? because if that is the case, you may need to order a box full of variety woods from that guy in South Australia...! He has plenty...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Drstrangefart

It may be so but, is your need to make cut outs in blanks due to not having any blanks with natural flaws, or bits missing...??? because if that is the case, you may need to order a box full of variety woods from that guy in South Australia...! He has plenty...!:wink:

Cheers
George

That requires a thing called "money". Me and this "money" concept haven't been on speaking terms in a little while now. And we don't have much of anything in the shop with naturally missing bits that doesn't tend to fail on the lathe, sadly.

Top Bottom