Second Slim Cigar is a WINNER.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

378167_256146807778725_100001502242963_693540_416776703_n.jpg

383304_256146884445384_100001502242963_693541_134662732_n.jpg

381132_256146937778712_100001502242963_693542_415990704_n.jpg

380967_256146994445373_100001502242963_693543_1389029389_n.jpg

I'M SO HAPPY WITH THIS ONE!!! After I got as close as I did on my first one, I HAD to try to make one for my own personal use. I had WAYYY better luck gluing the label down, and I adjusted how I apply the layers of medium CA to get it built up right. It allowed me to properly polish it and get the look I was dying for. It's black walnut, CA finish, and I can't begin to guess how many coats of medium CA I did.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drstrangefart

Looks pretty good to me. Now close the finial end :)

I know, I know. I need to get that one figured out with supplies on hand currently or wait until I get new toys. I was tempted to try to close it and figure out how to polish it, but the finish was so clean and the results were so perfect I was too scared to experiment.

I'm not too sure about a cigar body on a slim. It seems way too out of proportion to me. I totally get the concept but not sure if that is the best kit to use for it. Just my humble opinion. On the positive side, the finish looks great. The label seems to have been wrapped very well. DJ

Drstrangefart

I'm not too sure about a cigar body on a slim. It seems way too out of proportion to me. I totally get the concept but not sure if that is the best kit to use for it. Just my humble opinion. On the positive side, the finish looks great. The label seems to have been wrapped very well. DJ

I hear ya. Right now all I do is Slims because they are within my budget, and I like to run downstairs and crank one out as soon as I have a hint of an idea. I plan on getting one of these done on a full size closed end kit one day, but not right now. What I have gathered so far is that in the hand, these do look and feel an awful lot like cigars. Even have the right weight to them.

boxerman

I really like that one looks good. If you have a chuck for your lathe couldn't you take a longer blank then what you need for the pen. Drill one end of the blank and then use a 60 degree on the tail stock end and turn your blank to size then part final end off and you should have close end at the top. Don't know if that would work. Just a thought.

Drstrangefart

A couple of things occurred to me while trying to figure out a closed end on my equipment. If I wanna do a 1 piece Slim for one of these, there's not really a way to glue the top tube in for it. The finishing would also be tough. I will have to spend some time figuring out how to iron out all the kinks.

Linarestribe

At our last meeting I was shown any easy way to do a closed end slim. If you have an extra mandrel rod, file it down till it looks kind of like a screw driver. Take your blank and lightly tap it into the rod as to not split the wood. Use the tail stock for support and use light cuts. That's how I did this one.

Jorge

Attachments

• IMG_1260.jpg
    IMG_1260.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 85

Drstrangefart

At our last meeting I was shown any easy way to do a closed end slim. If you have an extra mandrel rod, file it down till it looks kind of like a screw driver. Take your blank and lightly tap it into the rod as to not split the wood. Use the tail stock for support and use light cuts. That's how I did this one.

Jorge

No spare mandrel rods laying around here. Your closed end looks great, and I think I'm probably just better off spending $20 on a basic closed end mandrel and open up a waider range of opportunities.

ToddMR

I think it turned out great! I have yet to do the closed end things myself. Like you, just not in the budget to get what I need. You say you only have slim kits? Do you only have slim bushings then? Maybe if you are EXTRA good, Santa will bring you some other kits. Anyhow, the finish and look of the pen are spectacular.

Drstrangefart

I think it turned out great! I have yet to do the closed end things myself. Like you, just not in the budget to get what I need. You say you only have slim kits? Do you only have slim bushings then? Maybe if you are EXTRA good, Santa will bring you some other kits. Anyhow, the finish and look of the pen are spectacular.

I've also got bushings for Cigar, Sierra, and Bullet pens. I still have one lone Cigar kit, waiting to have it sold before I tear into it, same for the one Sierra kit.

Top Bottom