Second Pen: Quilted Maple El Grande RB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from constamj

constamj

Just finished my second pen. This is going to get me in trouble. It is an El Grande Kit with dyed Quilted Maple and a CA finish using MM12000 and Meguiar's Plastic polish.

I think it turned out pretty good. I did however find a couple places where scratches from rougher grits are showing through. I guess I need to spend a little longer on each grit. Any input is welcome.

2008225214522_closedRBQuiltMapleElGrande.jpg

2008225214543_openRBQuiltMapleElGrande.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sparhawk

Looks good. I like that blue. Im always showing my wife what is wrong with some pen I've done and she says unless i had pointed it out to her she would have never noticed. We are all our own worst critic.:)

igran7

Did you say second pen! [:0] Beautiful work if it were 100th pen, EXCEPTIONAL work for your second. Definately a pen to be proud of. Way to go Michael:):D

constamj

Thank you Joe. I just turned another pen and I might have found my limits. I discovered that when you drill out Acrylic Mother earth round blanks with the large bits needed for this pen kit, you have to be really patient. I blew out my first blank. I think the wood blanks are a little more forgiving. I did however purchase two. I will post it some other day. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ligget

Michael that is a beautiful pen, I love the colour and your pics are great![:p]

You learn something new everyday in this fascinating world of pen turning, you are on the right road my friend!:)

Buzz

Great pen Michael, well done. Slow and steady drilling that acrylic, not too fast, clear the chips frequently and even a little spray of water will help to keep it cool.

I would always recommend leaving the blanks longer than needed and then docking them to length after drilling deep enough for the tube. It seems that most blowouts occur as the drill bit breaks through.

R2

That is a wonderful colour you have on your blank and it is very well made and photographed.:)[^]
As for sanding use sharp paper and clean blank between sandings with a soft cloth or brush to remove any loose grit. Also, sand along the bblanks with each grit as part of your sanding regime.

fernhills

Second,very nice,,you are doing great, mine were no where as good as yours.
About the scratches,after awhile you won`t have to sand with aggressive grits,your lathe tools will get them to almost no sanding at all. Carl

Top Bottom