Second Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bill Arnold

Bill Arnold

I took time out from another project to turn my second pen today. This one is made with dogwood. One photo shows the log I cut the blanks from along with a cutoff from the slice I made in the log. The second photo (the 'back' of the pen) shows some worm holes and checking. After turning the blanks to slightly larger than needed, I used some CA glue and 150 grit sandpaper to create a slurry to fill the worm holes and checks. Then, I continued to turn to final dimension. I finished this pen with CA/BLO, then HUT PPP I and II.

The small log from which I cut the pen blanks is one of a group of logs cut from a tree that fell on my in-laws property near Birmingham, AL. I sliced some veneers from the center of the log to use for other projects; the outside cuts were thick enough to make pen blanks.

:)

Attachments

• Pen00002a.jpg
    Pen00002a.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 192
  • Pen00002b.jpg
    Pen00002b.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 188
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Very nice job. Nice wood and well done. One quick note. It looks like you are sneaking up on the point where the tip of the refil will not retract fully into the nib. This is bad for shirts and other things that might come in contact with it. Try putting the refill in before you think you have the transmission pressed in all the way to check. Sneak up on the right amount of tip showing when fully extended, and make sure that it is actually a little recessed into the nib when retracted.

Bill Arnold

Very nice job. Nice wood and well done. One quick note. It looks like you are sneaking up on the point where the tip of the refil will not retract fully into the nib. This is bad for shirts and other things that might come in contact with it. Try putting the refill in before you think you have the transmission pressed in all the way to check. Sneak up on the right amount of tip showing when fully extended, and make sure that it is actually a little recessed into the nib when retracted.
Thanks for your comments. I checked the refill again and it retracts fully inside the nib.

Bill Arnold

Nice job on the pen. Are you sure that's dogwood? It doesn't look like the dogwood I've used before (in size, bark, color nor grain).

Regards,
Eric
Thanks, Eric.

The inlaws said it's dogwood. I also checked online by searching 'dogwood lumber' and it appears to be very close to an image I found for Pacific Dogwood. There are many varieties of dogwood.

Top Bottom