Second offering of the week

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

Here is a pen I made from Cottonwood crotchwood. It had some bug holes that I didn't get filled to my satisfaction. I was going to scrap it, but my neighbor came over to my shop and said he liked it. So I finished it and gave it to him. I tried to fill the holes with sanding dust and thick CA similar to Russ Fairfields method, but the results leave something to be desired. Maybe next time I'll try just CA. I seen CharlesH mention doing that in one of his threads. Comments and compliments welcome. Constructive critisim truly appreciated.

Pen 025.jpg

Pen 027.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Here is a pen I made from Cottonwood crotchwood. It had some bug holes that I didn't get filled to my satisfaction. I was going to scrap it, but my neighbor came over to my shop and said he liked it. So I finished it and gave it to him. I tried to fill the holes with sanding dust and thick CA similar to Russ Fairfields method, but the results leave something to be desired. Maybe next time I'll try just CA. I seen CharlesH mention doing that in one of his threads. Comments and compliments welcome. Constructive critisim truly appreciated.
I understand the Association of Pen Photographers of the World have outlawed the taking of pen photos on a blue background!:biggrin:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good work on the pen Derek. I think you're on the right track with the dust & CA. Another learning curve that will take a little practice. The finish i8s looking good. A gray back ground would produce a better photo. Thanks for posting the pen. I'm glad you didn't pitch it.

Old Lar

Nice job Derek, I make a lot of cottonwood pens and they have been popular in my market which is about 2 hours from yours. We should get together some time.

I have to agree with the comments on the background.

jbswearingen

Great looking pen!

I've found that thin CA works better for me when filling in small holes like that. I sand the blank, pack that dust into the hole, and then put a drop of THIN CA on it. It soaks in quicker and better than the thicker stuff.

Top Bottom