Second, improved custom cap. Is finial the word here???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

406464_268083816585024_100001502242963_724479_1756886632_n.jpg

384642_268083846585021_100001502242963_724480_1351421200_n.jpg

So, this one went a lot better. I tried the sharper point up top for a self-defense edge just to see, and it worked, just not what I wanted on this pen. Turns out I got TOO clean of a fit, and the glue got pushed around out of the way instead of what I'd planned when I went to glue it in. I had to re-glue it, getting glue all over the clip ring in the process. Not TOO major of an issue, but I know it's there, and it bugs me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Thats a real pretty acrylic! I like ths idea a lot.. may have to try it myself!

when you're sanding the acrylic you should sand horizontal after sanding vertical.. gets rid of all those little rings! I know it's nit picky but it's just my .02.
Great lookin pen

Drstrangefart

Thats a real pretty acrylic! I like ths idea a lot.. may have to try it myself!

when you're sanding the acrylic you should sand horizontal after sanding vertical.. gets rid of all those little rings! I know it's nit picky but it's just my .02.
Great lookin pen

Actually, a lot of the marks on it came from handling it while gluing and re-gluing. I HAD it looking super spiffy before the glue refused to cooperate. Kinda got accellerator all over it, too which definitely hurt the final gloss as PR hates accellerator. I do cross-sand obsessively and then wax after 12,000 grit to try to make sure I don't have any of those rings. After the glue went awry, I kinda had to pick my battles if I didn't wanna clean the tubes off with a framing hammer.

Last edited:

Bobalu

Looks good Allan. I also like the colors of that blank. I figured it wouldn't be a day or two before you gave the custom finial thing a try. You are going to have to teach me how to do those one-piece designs. I like them a lot, but have yet to try creating one.

ctubbs

Allen, ye have unleashed a monster. Seeing that once more today just blows my mind. I was sure it would take a day or two for the next one. Big improvement over the first. Congratulations.
Charles

bitshird

Allen, it's getting better, but I think you should either hide the clip ring completely or turn the end of the pen body and the matching area of your finial to let the ring show,kind of roll the edges over further, The same thing on Cigar kits, the silly coupler rather than having straight edges have a radius edge, so if you turn your blank with a square end as per the bushing, you have this dumb little gap so you need to round that edge to roll into the same shape and it's just a tiny bit, I made a bunch of delrin V pieces for different size tubes, easy to do just get some Delrin/Aectal drill a 1/4 inch hole center is nice, but not critical, you can put it on your mandrel and use a gouge or what ever even a file will work smake cone shapes for different tube sizes, even for slimlines, CA won't stick to it. but you can round edges and soften them on cigar kits, and cheap and might help where your headed with your finials.

Last edited:

Matt Cotton

In staying with the D&D theme, could try to take a D4 die and turn just the 3 points that are going to be closest to the pen..... Where the hell did I leave all my old D&D stuff?

CharlesH

I like that finial. You should make the size of the pen at the nib much finer, it would look better with the finial from my point of view. A smaller and more progressive shape.

I like how you always try to improve. I also like the fact that you take a slimline and you try to push the potential of the kit to the maximum.

You are inspiring!

C

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

Drstrangefart

I like that finial. You should make the size of the pen at the nib much finer, it would look better with the finial from my point of view. A smaller and more progressive shape.

I like how you always try to improve. I also like the fact that you take a slimline and you try to push the potential of the kit to the maximum.

You are inspiring!

C

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2.

The size of the pen barrel at the nib is pure function. There's no tube glued in there to support it, so I rely on extra diameter to keep it intact. I really appreciate the compliment! I'm really studying as many disciplines as I can for when I get up into fountains and higher end kits. You can only do so many standard Slims before you need something else to do.

Drstrangefart

In staying with the D&D theme, could try to take a D4 die and turn just the 3 points that are going to be closest to the pen..... Where the hell did I leave all my old D&D stuff?

D4 would be nigh impossible to drill out centered on my current rig. I can see having it as a pyramid on top of the pen, but I'm not sure I'd wanna turn it any. You should easily be able to buy tue dice of all facets at your local game shop. They're a booming industry right now.

Matt Cotton

So, this one went a lot better. I tried the sharper point up top for a self-defense edge just to see, and it worked, just not what I wanted on this pen. Turns out I got TOO clean of a fit, and the glue got pushed around out of the way instead of what I'd planned when I went to glue it in. I had to re-glue it, getting glue all over the clip ring in the process. Not TOO major of an issue, but I know it's there, and it bugs me.

quick question, are you gluing the cap on top of the kit's finial? The majority of the time that I am spending on these is I am turning a post that I can press inside the pen clip/tube

SDB777

Counter-sink that little nubbin piece(notching the actual clip area also) so the metal 'ring' doesn't show at all...then do a tutorial on it.

Great coloring in the blank too(reverse painted)??

Great idea! Been thinking about doing some closed-end clips....just haven't got around to it yet.

Scott (keep 'em coming) B

Drstrangefart

quick question, are you gluing the cap on top of the kit's finial? The majority of the time that I am spending on these is I am turning a post that I can press inside the pen clip/tube

These have the post, too. Glue leaked out onto the clip ring during glue-up.

soligen

Good to see you expanding your repertoire!! On the glue, use epoxy and you can clean it up squeeze out with a paper towel and DNA before it sets.

Next step is to recess the clip, then you aren't constrained by the size of the clip ring anymore - give it a go :)

Drstrangefart

Counter-sink that little nubbin piece(notching the actual clip area also) so the metal 'ring' doesn't show at all...then do a tutorial on it.

Great idea! Been thinking about doing some closed-end clips....just haven't got around to it yet.

I'm noodling through the logistics of hiding the clip. Also trying to sack up. I don't wanna invest the serious time needed to do this and then have a crappy fit. I know it's all measuring with calipers, and I'm having to learn how to do that as I go with the finials. I think I have a home-forged blade I can modify to make the recess how I'd want it. And I think I have the measurements I need figured out.

Drstrangefart

Good to see you expanding your repertoire!! On the glue, use epoxy and you can clean it up squeeze out with a paper towel and DNA before it sets.

Next step is to recess the clip, then you aren't constrained by the size of the clip ring anymore - give it a go :)

Currently thinking my way through it!

Drstrangefart

Well, I attempted to hide the clip on another one. I turned everything down too small. Scale is perfect, but I read the calipers wrong. Still learning them. Now I either need to find a suitable match or start over from scratch.

Drstrangefart

I'm noodling through the logistics of hiding the clip. Also trying to sack up. I don't wanna invest the serious time needed to do this and then have a crappy fit. I know it's all measuring with calipers, and I'm having to learn how to do that as I go with the finials. I think I have a home-forged blade I can modify to make the recess how I'd want it. And I think I have the measurements I need figured out.

Oh yeah! I forgot- No reverse paint. Opaque blank.

Top Bottom