Second Atlas Acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
This is the second acrylic I have done and also the second Atlas from AS... great kit...
I wish the color of the acrylic had come out better but no matter what I tried this is the best... it is a brown background with gold, black and orange floating below the surface... real neat colors and gloss...
200511215824_Acrylic2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
MMMM let's see... so far I have made pens from wood, antler, corn cobs, cow horn, soapstone and plastic... as soon as it gets warm again and I can get the material I intend to play with some snake skins I have, but that is like turning acrylic after the casting is done..
I have seen copper and aluminum pens, but they don't do anything for me...
Any suggestions...

Tom McMillan

Sounds like you've covered more types than me---I'll stay clear of the snakeskins I think. Have you done Tru Stone yet?? Then there's always candle sticks like my "Ugly Pen". I have some Tagua Nuts---but haven't really used them in anything yet---probably will use them just for center bands or maybe finials though since mine aren't too long. And actually seems like a lot of the acrylics turn differently so trying the different types could take awhile in itself. I'll probably stay clear of real ivory, although I do have one alternative ivory blank to try. I've used ebony with pretty good results, but am a little nervous about it now after hearing about a lot of cracking---maybe I'll try to black steelwood---supposed to be a dead ringer for ebony. Well, it's fun seeing the new ideas---and in trying to think up new ones---I have one I'm going to work on---but, we'll see how it works out before I say what it is. It's always a treat to see the nice work you do!!

PenWorks

Nice pen Tom, what is the rsin? It looks like the bronze inlace in the photo. Since you have about run the gamut. Start doing some wildcats. Replace the kit parts with your own in wood or metal. I love doing that, but it is very time consuming and I ussually have so much time in it, I end up keeping them or selling them only to real good pen clients that can appreciate all the hand work. Hope you have a wonderfull New Year. I still think they should have sent us to Hawaii, what a bunch of cheap Bas*%&*&*& Anthony

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
That blank is the AA-Y Liquid gold. Dark gold/black browns that I got from Arizona Silhouette..the picture does not even come close to doing it justice.. some of the blanks were a full 6" long which is sweet if you are doing Atlas kits because you can get 2 pens from a blank.. but Bill told me that a lot of the blanks are now coming in at 5.5"... I guess the supplier figured out he could get more blanks out of his stuff that way... I guess if you are doing Atlas, Polais or Patriot kits you can ask Bill to pick 6" long ones for you it he has them... that is one of the nice things about doing business with him.. he always tries to accomodate your needs.. and the freebie wood he sends is a real plus... last order included a gorgeous Desert Ironwood blank that I am saving for something special..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom