Sea Shell Squire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JohnU

JohnU

I had a friend give me some sea shells she picked up off the beach in Florida. They had some nice color so I opted to try a pen blank like I used to make with abalone pieces. The shells were a little thick so I chose the Squire. Three hours of cutting and gluing, a little polyresin, and two days of efforts resulted in this. Of course my wife loved it and I had just enough time to get this picture before it was gone. lol All comments welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• Shell Squire.jpg
    Shell Squire.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 508
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gbpens

Fantastic effort and a beautiful pen! I have heard that cutting abalone shell presents problems for our lungs. Do the shells you used cause the same respiratory issues?

PaulDoug

A pen like this is why I like to visit this site even though I haven't made any pens for quite a while. That's very unique and great work. Congrats on it.

JohnU

Fantastic effort and a beautiful pen! I have heard that cutting abalone shell presents problems for our lungs. Do the shells you used cause the same respiratory issues?

I would guess yes. Cutting or breaking with hand tools stirs up less particles and I try to avoid having to sand them down by using just the thin pieces. Sanding the shells is the bad part. After being casted your just turning resin and the shells are hopefully untouched underneath. Thanks

jmbaker79

Beautiful Job John! I started a shell mosaic once and the casting failed, much respect to this one! Makes me want to take another shot at it!

mrburls

Beautiful work John. I've always said you were the master at laying out shells for pen blanks. No one does it better than you sir.

Keith "mrburls"

Top Bottom