Sea n' Shells

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Pioneerpens

Pioneerpens

ok, i had to go to fly to orlando, drive 3 hours to Vanderbilt beach in Naples, pick shells small enough to go on a pen, spend an entire week searching the beach and the gulf, resting in the sun when necessary(it often was), drive 3 hours back to orlando, fly back home, strategically place shells on a Sierra tube (painted light blue/green, cast in clear pr, turn and assemble on a Sierra chrome and black pen.
The lengths I will go to for making a pen know no bounds :wink:

As always, comments, good or bad always welcome!

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• sea n shells1.jpg
    sea n shells1.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 255
  • sea n shells2.jpg
    sea n shells2.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 217
  • sea n shells3.jpg
    sea n shells3.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 475
  • sea n shells4.jpg
    sea n shells4.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

That is awesome. Great choice in background colors. Nicely Done..

Seems like that one works fine. Time to go back and collect more shells. :biggrin: Oh the hardship.... :biggrin:

bitshird

Jennifer that is about the wildest Idea I've seen, I think a Sierra Vista give a little more wiggle room, tubes are the same size but the outside diameter is a wee bit larger. I'm getting some for my snake pens, there isn't a lot of wall thickness at the ends on a regular Sierra, How big of a magnifying glass did you use to find that many Tiny Tiny little shells?

Pioneerpens

Ken, that's a good idea! I hadn't thought about the Vista since i don't have any! I will need to get a few for some other ones i'm doing too! Oh and thanks for reminding me~ no magnifying glass BUT... as I was bent over looking for shells, a lovely wave came by and took my glasses ( on day 2) so I had to have my prescription faxed down so I could spend $400 on a new pair of glasses so I could continue my search for tiny little shells!!!!
Skip~ these memories are getting more expensive the more I think about them LOL....I will be making lots of shell pens I think!

workinforwood

Great execution Jennifer...I really like your pen.

I remember having that happen to my glasses more than once in my life...losing them to some lake or river. I had the lasic surgery about 4-5 yrs ago..best investment I ever made in myself. I never have to worry about going in the water blind. The cost of glasses or contacts over a persons life is far more expensive that lasic.

Last edited:

ldb2000

Awesome pen Jennifer . Are you sure you didn't catch one of them hermit crabs in there ? there seems to be one looking out and smiling (inside circle)

Attachments

• seanshells3.jpg
    seanshells3.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 133
Obviously Butch doesn't need any glasses!!!! Jen.....what a wonderful pen you have put all together!!! Memories and cost...........it adds up to WOW!!!!

LarryDNJR

Nice Pen!

I tried a keychain with broken shells few months back and one couple weeks ago with small shells.

Attachments

• Toothpick Holder Secret Compartment Key Chain Chrome Broken Seashells Resin Casting 01.jpg
    Toothpick Holder Secret Compartment Key Chain Chrome Broken Seashells Resin Casting 01.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 126
  • Toothpick Holder Secret Compartment Key Chain Chrome Broken Seashells Resin Casting 02.jpg
    Toothpick Holder Secret Compartment Key Chain Chrome Broken Seashells Resin Casting 02.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 113
  • SeaShell Keychain.jpg
    SeaShell Keychain.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 115

Pioneerpens

Thanks Max~ Keith~ Cindy~Larry now you have me thinking I need to make a matching key chain...they look great! did you also glue them to the tube first?

nava1uni

Very cool pen. I think that pen turners think outside of the box. I think you went way outside on this one. Think the IRS would allow it as a write off? LOL

Pioneerpens

LOL Cindy, I don't think they'd go for it..and you are correct about pen turners thinking outside the box...I see a pen possibilites in everything....some work, some don't...but i keep trying some different 'stuff'

LarryDNJR

Thanks Max~ Keith~ Cindy~Larry now you have me thinking I need to make a matching key chain...they look great! did you also glue them to the tube first?

Jennifer, on the broken shell I did the glue on top I think I used Titebond CA Gel. Rolled the tube in broken shells and packed it down a little to smooth it out. Applied more glue and rolled it again. I think I did that about 3 times. I did have 1 shell that stuck out a little further than the rest for when I was turning it. As for the full shell blank I dipped each little shell in a tiny bit of medium CA, applied each shell with a small tweezer doing my best to cover all the exposed brass. This piece had some shells exposed as well.

PenMan1

Jennifer:
Sorry you had to endure all of this for the sake of a pen:). Your methodology here should advance penmaking! I hope you were sure NOT to "rush" the on-site shell selection process. I have found that spending a week or so in this part of the process really enhances the final product.

Perhaps you should return to the collection site and this time slow down the process even more:).

Pioneerpens

Andy that insight is nothing short of brilliant!!! I am sure I could slow down my process. All in the interest of penmaking of course! ;)
Larry~ i'm working on making a few more pens and keychains with different variations i'm trying...will post when completed...thanks

Top Bottom