Sculpted Stainless Steel Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Fresh off the angle grinder !!:biggrin:

I think the only straight lines on this pen are the sides of the holes down the middle. The outside is Tri-lobe shaped with convex and concave curves.

If the humble slim has an Achilles heel, then in my opinion it's the moving joint in the mech. To give the mech a fighting chance on a fairly heavy pen like this, I overlapped the tubes and blank halves. Also put a small tennon between the blanks.

I spent hours with the 6 inch angle grinder and even longer with the sanding and polishing....but when I showed my dear wife....guess what she said..?

'Mmm...that's different.....looks like a medical thingy' :eek::mad:

LOL, I hope you like it more than the she-devil...:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2248.JPG
    DSCF2248.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 381
  • DSCF2251.JPG
    DSCF2251.JPG
    180.3 KB · Views: 353
  • DSCF2254.JPG
    DSCF2254.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 357
  • DSCF2255.JPG
    DSCF2255.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 317

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Looks like it feels great in the hand!

Yep, it is nice to hold. The first time I saw a Tri-lobe pen was Bruce Boone's Flame Pen. ( I still love that pen !!:wink: )
One of the (many ) complaints the LOML has about steel pens is that they are slippery and sometimes difficult to hold. This shape makes it a lot easier. :biggrin: Keeps 'her' quiet too...:tongue:

D.Oliver

I think I'm going to have to learn another language in order to find an adjective to better describe your work. "Amazing" just isn't cutting it anymore.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Skip,

Do you mind going through your process for sanding and polishing something like that?

Not at all..:wink:
In this instance the pen was turned to a regular teardrop shape on the lathe. Both ends.
Depending how lazy I was in sharpening my HSS cutter or using a fresh insert cutter determines what grade wet'n'dry paper I can start with.
Mostly start with 400 grit and work my way upto 1200.
Then I started with the angle grinder making very light passes.
The grinding actaully leaves a very nice finish and I can often start at 800 grit for a bit before just buffing.
I wet sand just to keep the paper clear.

Three buffing wheels, but I generally just load up the first wheel with the dark gray compound. Sorry I don't know what it's called.
Sometimes it can take ages, particulary if I have a deep scratch or used files to do shaping.
I often have blisters on my right thumb an index fingers..:redface:

Here's a couple of pics showing how I used the angle grinder.
The lathe is off, of course and just used to hold and index the work.

The pivot point can either be locked with the cap screws when using the carraige, or left loose to create arcs.

Cheers for the comments:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCF2256.JPG
    DSCF2256.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF2258.JPG
    DSCF2258.JPG
    211.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSCF2247.JPG
    DSCF2247.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 189

SteveG

Many of the posters in this thread have boot marks up and down their back, from the next poster and the next... climbing over each other, to find better descriptive words and phrases to apply to your work here. I am starting to get older and cannot withstand that kind of self-imposed abuse, so I will just stand back an admire.

D.Oliver

Many of the posters in this thread have boot marks up and down their back, from the next poster and the next... climbing over each other, to find better descriptive words and phrases to apply to your work here. I am starting to get older and cannot withstand that kind of self-imposed abuse, so I will just stand back an admire.

You have a point Steve. I was just looking in the mirror at the marks on my back and I'm curious which one of you blokes is wearing the high heels? Dalecamino, I'm looking in you dirction!

Dalepenkala

Fresh off the angle grinder !!:biggrin:

I think the only straight lines on this pen are the sides of the holes down the middle. The outside is Tri-lobe shaped with convex and concave curves.

If the humble slim has an Achilles heel, then in my opinion it's the moving joint in the mech. To give the mech a fighting chance on a fairly heavy pen like this, I overlapped the tubes and blank halves. Also put a small tennon between the blanks.

I spent hours with the 6 inch angle grinder and even longer with the sanding and polishing....but when I showed my dear wife....guess what she said..?

'Mmm...that's different.....looks like a medical thingy' :eek::mad:

LOL, I hope you like it more than the she-devil...:biggrin:

Very cool looking pen Steve! Congrats!

sbell111

That is an amazing work! The bar is getting so high it's hard to see it anymore. :eek:

Bar??? What bar??? Skiprat sets a faint line in the sky that I would need an airplane to reach. An order of insperation for those of us who still have lots to learn.

Bruce
His explanations are nice and clear so that just for the briefest of seconds, you think 'Oh, I could do that'. Then you look back at the pics of the pen and realize just how lacking your abilities truly are.

firewhatfire

Well that was not what I had pictured in my mind. :biggrin: I was thinking how am I gonna hold something still to do that. :rolleyes: Of course I am no mad scientist such as yourself.

Just proves how much I have to learn.

Thanks for the quick tutorial by the way, it was very educational.

Phil

Skip,

Do you mind going through your process for sanding and polishing something like that?

Not at all..:wink:
In this instance the pen was turned to a regular teardrop shape on the lathe. Both ends.
Depending how lazy I was in sharpening my HSS cutter or using a fresh insert cutter determines what grade wet'n'dry paper I can start with.
Mostly start with 400 grit and work my way upto 1200.
Then I started with the angle grinder making very light passes.
The grinding actaully leaves a very nice finish and I can often start at 800 grit for a bit before just buffing.
I wet sand just to keep the paper clear.

Three buffing wheels, but I generally just load up the first wheel with the dark gray compound. Sorry I don't know what it's called.
Sometimes it can take ages, particulary if I have a deep scratch or used files to do shaping.
I often have blisters on my right thumb an index fingers..:redface:

Here's a couple of pics showing how I used the angle grinder.
The lathe is off, of course and just used to hold and index the work.

The pivot point can either be locked with the cap screws when using the carraige, or left loose to create arcs.

Cheers for the comments:biggrin:

Top Bottom