Sculpted Piston Fill Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

A couple weeks ago I posted my first pen that featured a sculpted rounded triangular cross section.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/exploration-non-round-152805/

This is the next evolution of that pen: A piston fill version that also features a metal cap band. The pen is made entirely from transparent green acrylic, and the cap band and clip are nickel silver. Everything on this pen was handmade except for the nib unit and o-rings on the piston. I'm seriously happy with this pen, and can't wait to send it off to the new owner.

Attachments

• DSC_0910.jpg
    DSC_0910.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,183
  • DSC_0909.jpg
    DSC_0909.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,136
  • DSC_0908.jpg
    DSC_0908.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 187
  • DSC_0911.jpg
    DSC_0911.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 190
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Wow, that's beautiful. How did you cut the piston thread and what is the pitch? My next pen is going to be a syringe filler, how much interference do you have between the o-ring and the bore?

Once again, beautiful work
Mike

stuckinohio

Simply amazing. There are so many details on this pen. Plus, I have mad respect for demonstrator pens. What a PITA it is to sand and polish the interior of a pen....

OZturner

Incredible Pen John,
Fantastic that you made all those Components,
Love the Transparent Green Acrylic.
Excellent Profile, and Proportions.
Superb Craftsmanship.
Congratulations, and Thank you for posting.
Brian.

magpens

John, that pen is a real work of art ... a thing of beauty ... a joy forever !!! . Congratulations !!!!!

jalbert

Wow, that's beautiful. How did you cut the piston thread and what is the pitch? My next pen is going to be a syringe filler, how much interference do you have between the o-ring and the bore?

Once again, beautiful work
Mike

Thanks! Piston thread was cut on the metal lathe. As far as pitch goes...pick the absolute coarsest that you can cut ;)

I don't really know what the interference between o rings and ink reservoir is. I just kind of keep taking material off the grooves in the piston head until I get a good fit.

Pierre---

Very classy indeed. With a beautiful polishing. Inside should have been a tough work...

One thing I don't understand is the impermeability of the black feed / blue section assembly. You just rely on grease?

jalbert

Very classy indeed. With a beautiful polishing. Inside should have been a tough work...

One thing I don't understand is the impermeability of the black feed / blue section assembly. You just rely on grease?

Hi Pierre,
Are you referring to making the space between the section wall and the feed housing sealed off so ink can't get in there? If so, silicon grease is sufficient when applied to the nib unit threads. Also, the front of the feed housing has an o ring behind the flange, which prevents ink from getting sucked into that space when filling.

Top Bottom