Sculpey Clay pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johncrane

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncrane

The invoice date said l got this polymer clay in dec 28th 2005 nearly a year has past and l have now got my arse into gear and done it. l made 3pens they turned like butter' and l tryed dry sanding and wet sanding.Wet sanding is the go' the 2patriot's where easy But the 8mlpushtop pen'when its turned down the blank is very thin it pays to put ca on the ends' l did have problems my fault l forgot to sand the tube before wraping the clay,Sculpey

2006111991027_100_1146.jpg

tell you on the packet how long to bake l used the gas oven in my house no prob's there's a good book on how too do it. Its KipChristensen/RexBurningham book on Turning Pens/Pencils.l also

200611199558_100_1071.jpg

used a ca/blo finish.l will be doing this alot more.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
M

Mudder

I remember an article in woodturning design magazine a while back and I think the author was Ed (YoYoSpin) I believe that after he cooked the blanks he dunked them in water. Might shoot him an email to be sure.

johncrane

l can thank bananajeep or Mike for getting me fired up'on this. Its not somethink new there's a polymer clay artist Jacqwueline E.Lee that has designed some fantastic pens she is in Kip Christensen/ Rex Burningham Book Turning Pens/Pencils First published in 1999 reprinted in 2003.[:D]

cozee

I was checking out the Sculpey at Hobby Lobby yesterday. They even have small blocks of designs, such as US flags, where one can cut several slices for wrapping around the tube or blank. (That list just keeps growing!!)

gerryr

Very interesting and a good job. It seems to me that I recall reading that pens made from polymer clay were not terribly durable, but maybe I imagined that.

jpick22

I have to agree with your recollection, Gerry. Not very durable at all, BUT......try this. Get your pattern around the tube (roll it out as thin as possible) - get it the way you like it and then plug the ends of your tube and use a stand-off at the end of each plug - place into a suitable mold and then encapsulate with clear polyester resin. Turn it down and you have a durable, highly polishable surface that offers long-lasting qualities and displays your clay-work beautifully.

My gallery page will show you some examples of encapsulated clay work.
http://tinyurl.com/pmydc

Oh, BTW, nice work John - and a big thank you for actuall offering a post without "G'day or Mate in it - I've waited a long time. :)

Jay

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Very interesting and a good job. It seems to me that I recall reading that pens made from polymer clay were not terribly durable, but maybe I imagined that.

bananajeep

Hey John, Those look great. They turned really easy didn't they? Keep posting the pens you do with clay. I'm gonna try a new design this week. I'll post the pens when done.

Good Job!!

Mike (bananajeep)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom