Scuba divers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

A good friend of mine who happens to be a scuba diving instructor, and is also a dolphin lover was kind enough to teach myself and family how to scuba dive. As a thank you, i made this for her today.

Its a Gent, made from aluminium and anodised, masked detailing then dyed in two tones. a darker red for the lid, and a more washed out red similar to a rose pink for the main body.

A custom finial has been made with a diver on at a slanted angle, which symbolises the globally recognised divers flag being a red square with a diagonal white line through it.

Down the left side of the body is a dolphin, and down the right is a scuba diver.

The lid sports Louisa's initials, with a smaller scuba diver swimming underneith.

All critiques welcome :)

Attachments

• 182076_365151586909847_758209905_n.jpg
    182076_365151586909847_758209905_n.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 394
  • 188424_365151680243171_685971297_n.jpg
    188424_365151680243171_685971297_n.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 352
  • 374445_365151716909834_761825316_n.jpg
    374445_365151716909834_761825316_n.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 381
  • 481818_365151763576496_293258235_n.jpg
    481818_365151763576496_293258235_n.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 324
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's cool!!! I'm sure she will love it. !!
I have no doubt that you have weighted both the cap and the body to neutral bouyancy and the refill is usable under water??
Wouldn't expect anything less from you Brad!! :biggrin::tongue:

BradG

lol you wouldnt believe the amount of trouble ive had with this pen :rolleyes: ... this was the third attempt. sussed it now :) yes the refill can be used underwater. the ink is likely to run into the water though and your paper is likelyto disintigrate :tongue:

reminds me of nasa investing thousands into designing a space pen, to then find out a plain old biro works just fine :biggrin:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL, you don't know how refreshing it is to see someone that takes a ribbing in the context it was intended!!!:rolleyes:

Not to digress from your post, but one of these days I'm gonna try and pick your mind on how to get the best out of my newly acquired power supply ( for plating ) It's a Waynne Kerr and I think it can do a completely variable volt / current output of upto 70V and 20Amps ( obviously less volts for higher current ) It's in my garage at home and I'm stuck in S****horpe right now!!!:frown:

Wow!!! Edit in; The name of the town in North East England wasn't a swear word!!!! Isn't the curse spell searcher a bit over sensitive? If it looks for groups of letters inside a 'normal' word, doesn't that make some people try to find out what is missing??? Jeesh!!! PC gone bonkers!!!!!

Last edited:

BradG

Let me know the model number when you get your hands back on it and il look it up for you ;) depends on what sortof plating you will be doing if your going for tank plating then its ideal, though a touch overkill for brush plating :biggrin:

fantastic for anodising aluminium,

okish for anodising titanium though you wont be able to get into the high bans of colours past 70 volts which will omit greens and pinks

Gofer

The pen is no doubt going to end up as a prized possession for the rest of her life. As far as I am concerned it is almost perfect, I would love to see is and blue or blue green color and have my initials on it ; )

I would like to find out a little more about how you did it because that is something I would love to try ... someday. Keep up the inspiring work.

Bruce

BradG

The pen is no doubt going to end up as a prized possession for the rest of her life. As far as I am concerned it is almost perfect, I would love to see is and blue or blue green color and have my initials on it ; )

I would like to find out a little more about how you did it because that is something I would love to try ... someday. Keep up the inspiring work.

Bruce

Hi Bruce
Yes if itwere for myself, blue would have been my choice too. i may just do a blue one for kicks.. will see.

As to how its done, its mask Anodising. I made a youtube video on mask anodising here:
mask anodising at home. similar to splash anodizing. add text and graphics - Tutorial

Lucky2

With it being two different colors, I'd like to see a picture of it with the two pieces assembled. It's hard to really tell what the whole pen looks like in the pics that you posted, rather then focus on the top or bottom portion, focus on the whole pen. Is it two different colors intentionally, or is it a result of a problem with the anodizing? Sorry, but just had to ask.
Len

PenPal

Brad,

How innovative and individually personal with highly unique design features then coloured in that anodising method. I found it heart warming for the nostalga injected into a pen the way you have.

Instructive perfection from tip to top. In my experience folks are incredibly affected by the effort which at the time seems inversely proportional to the intention what with one thought bouncing into several together with the inevitable learning curve. I visualise the receiver completely at a loss for words receiving your gift and rightly so IMHO.

Refreshing enthusiasm tremendous originality and application pays huge dividends your pen is positive proof. This pen will be a family heirloom together with the kindest of thoughts you expressed in your posting where I sense humour, perseverance with application.

By the way love the pen.

Kind regards from a colonial proud of my forefathers or is it forty four fathers.

Peter in Aus.

gwilki

From one diver to another, Brad, I love it. Just for the record, though, we write with pencils under water - on wetnotes. :) Seriously, the product really is called Wetnotes.

BradG

Beautiful!
As a scuba diver myself (although inactive for many years) I can appreciate that as well.

Thanks Dave

With it being two different colors, I'd like to see a picture of it with the two pieces assembled. It's hard to really tell what the whole pen looks like in the pics that you posted, rather then focus on the top or bottom portion, focus on the whole pen. Is it two different colors intentionally, or is it a result of a problem with the anodizing? Sorry, but just had to ask.
Len

Hi Len It was intentional. Ive done solid red pens in the past and its a bit too much red if you see my meaning. Perhaps it would be better faded from top to bottom gradually, but that would take some clever gearing to raise it out of the dye over time... may experiment with that enough time.

It goes together well, reminds me of candy with a different coloured top. the change is only subtle. you will have to take my word on it as its now gift wrapped :cool: next time I do one similar il be sure to post a pic of the pen as a whole, though i think the members who have dabbled with anodising will agree that the concept of masking anodising is a little more interesting on this piece oppose to the actual colour choice

Brad,

How innovative and individually personal with highly unique design features then coloured in that anodising method. I found it heart warming for the nostalga injected into a pen the way you have.

Instructive perfection from tip to top. In my experience folks are incredibly affected by the effort which at the time seems inversely proportional to the intention what with one thought bouncing into several together with the inevitable learning curve. I visualise the receiver completely at a loss for words receiving your gift and rightly so IMHO.

Refreshing enthusiasm tremendous originality and application pays huge dividends your pen is positive proof. This pen will be a family heirloom together with the kindest of thoughts you expressed in your posting where I sense humour, perseverance with application.

By the way love the pen.

Kind regards from a colonial proud of my forefathers or is it forty four fathers.

Peter in Aus.

Thanks Peter, I hope you and your wife are keeping well.

Great job Brad. I like the center band.

Thanks Chuck, Yes stands a bit proud this one. maybe a touch too proud, but i do like the fact its not flush.

Amazing piece of work!!! That is just something else!!!

Thanks, we do try and pull something off a touch out of the box if we can :biggrin:

From one diver to another, Brad, I love it. Just for the record, though, we write with pencils under water - on wetnotes. :) Seriously, the product really is called Wetnotes.

Slates we call them here :wink:

That's wicked! I'm sure it'll be a treasured gift Brad.

Here's hoping ... rather than sinking into the abyss.... Cant see this one floating lol

BSea

It's nice, but not DIR :biggrin:.

On the serious side, that is fantastic. I really like the custom accent ring & the finial. Really nice touches.

Last edited:

BSea

On the serious side, that is fantastic. I really like the custom accent ring & the finial. Really nice touches.

Ok il rise to that... So why's it not Doing it right? :cool:
Well for starters, there's no back-up.:eek: And 2nd, it's not black.:befuddled:

For those not familiar, DIR stands for "Doing It Right". Some take it to the nth degree, and if you don't do it their way, you're doing it wrong. And they almost are always wearing all black.

BradG

Ok il rise to that... So why's it not Doing it right? :cool:
Well for starters, there's no back-up.:eek: And 2nd, it's not black.:befuddled:

For those not familiar, DIR stands for "Doing It Right". Some take it to the nth degree, and if you don't do it their way, you're doing it wrong. And they almost are always wearing all black.

plenty of those here in the UK..... nobsicles as my instuctor calls them. strange breed of "up their own" type of people. Best when underwater when you cant hear them :rolleyes:

Gilrock

Wow!!! Edit in; The name of the town in North East England wasn't a swear word!!!! Isn't the curse spell searcher a bit over sensitive? If it looks for groups of letters inside a 'normal' word, doesn't that make some people try to find out what is missing??? Jeesh!!! PC gone bonkers!!!!!

Yep. :wink: And now I can't concentrate on reading the rest of this thread till I find out. I searched this whole page and didn't see a town that matches:
Towns in North East England on AboutBritain.com

ugrad

Yep. :wink: And now I can't concentrate on reading the rest of this thread till I find out. I searched this whole page and didn't see a town that matches:
Towns in North East England on AboutBritain.com

It's SC*NTHORPE but YOU is missing.

Regards
Peter

Kretzky

LOL, you don't know how refreshing it is to see someone that takes a ribbing in the context it was intended!!!:rolleyes:

Not to digress from your post, but one of these days I'm gonna try and pick your mind on how to get the best out of my newly acquired power supply ( for plating ) It's a Waynne Kerr and I think it can do a completely variable volt / current output of upto 70V and 20Amps ( obviously less volts for higher current ) It's in my garage at home and I'm stuck in S****horpe right now!!!:frown:

C'mon now Skip, stop leading folks astray... S****horpe isn't in the north-east :eek: it's south of the Humber fer cryin' out loud :rolleyes:. But hey! I know do it could be considered a swearword by some :wink: :biggrin: I worked there in the late 60's & I come from the north-east.

Top Bottom