Scrimshaw... Maori 'Totem' pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Artemiss

Artemiss

Hi folks,

Generally working with knife scales, I was recently offered the opportunity to scrim a pen.

Once finished, I stumbled upon this IAP website, and thought you may be interested.

I have to state, a friend made the pen, I just embellished it.

a1fa75b1.jpg

729572eb.jpg

53e82844.jpg

d67a4f89.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Jo

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Another WOW from me too!!:eek:
That must have taken ages to do!!

Oh...and welcome to IAP:biggrin:

Artemiss

Thanks for the comments guys.

There are four faces in total. Each one taking around 4 hours to complete, so 16 hours in total.

Compared to my normal work, the pen was really good fun to do, once I worked out a way to hold it!! :)

Normal =
DamascusBlackKnife-HerculesScrimCOMPLETEDPUBLISHED1.jpg

Artemiss

Thanks again! :)

As a matter of interest, how long would it take to turn down a barrel and cap, similar to my example - for a competant lathe operator?

It would all too easy for me to say that it took a week to complete the pen.
However, as I actually 'time' the work, it's considerably more accurate.

The material is Alternative Ivory, from Axminster Tools.

Jo

Last edited:

PenPal

Jo,
This pen decoration of yours is up to scratch and surpasses casual pieces. I was immediately intrigued by use of a Maori design then captivated as it developed into a complete picture.

Then I Googled for an hour and now am a Google expert (pun).

In the hidden recesses I have the odd piano key in Ivory from a very old piano something to ponder over certainly in this our winter in our warm house.

At first blush reading your description of the pen I missed that it was made of faux Ivory, this creates an economic entry into trying this old art form. Fascinated by the beauty of your decoration I look forward to other works of art on pens made by you.

As a follower of Football in many forms immediately the design reminded me of the old established contests involving New Zealand teams when prior to the game they break into the traditional Haka designed to put fear into their opponents, the design you used deserves admiration not fear.

A breath of fresh air. Thanks for showing us.

Kind regards Peter.

maxman400

Excellent Work! Welcome to the site, hope you stick around, love to see more of your work. Maybe we can inspire you to jump in to the PEN VOID!!! LOL.

PaulDoug

Some one was asking the other day whether pen making was art or craft. I say craft. This pen is an example where craft meets art.

Love the pen and the artwork you did on it. Beautiful.

Welcome to the forum.

wiset1

Probably one of the coolest pens I've seen here in a long time! There's just so much effort and creativity placed into this...16 hours is just part of it. You have to figure the planning that went into the flow of the designs around the tubes to balance the overall design. Truly amazing work!

OKLAHOMAN

All I can say is WOW!, I've had some pens scrimshawed by a local artist here in Oklahoma and the work you did on this pen has a big WOW factor. Just wish it was on a higher end set of components.

arw01

Not at all what I was expecting from the post title. Jaw dropping rapidly ensued, and now curiousity on what matter of tools one uses for such delicate and intricate artistry.

Congratulations on some beautiful and unique work!

Andrew_K99

Another WOW from me as well, fantastic job you've done!! I could definitely see a market for you work on high end pens, easily $200+++ with the right kits.

AK

Grizzlyss

Very Nice Work.

That is a very amazing piece of art you have done. That goes well beyond a craft. I am jelous though, I just wish I had even a small amount of your talent. I gues maybe I do, about 1/100 of 1 %. LOL.

Great job.

Sheldon

Rick P

Another WOW from me as well, fantastic job you've done!! I could definitely see a market for you work on high end pens, easily $200+++ with the right kits.

AK

Stunningly low! There are several good scrimshaw folks here in Alaska and $200 is what they get for a quarter-half dollar sized pendant in walrus ivory! The amount of talent and work that goes into scrimshaw is a step up from just about an other form and there are very few competent artists currently working in it today. The knife handle is probably one of the finest examples of the medium I have ever seen and I have looked at literally hundreds if not thousands of pieces!

Top Bottom