Screwed up cedar...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Well, I was excited to try this embossing powder I found in my closet. It's the stuff you pile in the back of an envelope then heat with an iron then stamp. Too fancy for paying bills, so I never used it.

Apparently it's somewhat waxy because the CA just rolled off it. Wasn’t easy at all, but worked.

Problem was I didn’t turn down the lower tube enough and it's almost the same size as the upper! Didn’t notice till I had the pen together.

Oh well...

cedar2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I'm not exactly sure where you used the powder.Is it visible at ll on the pen pictureed?
Try putting a small pile of powder on a piece of scrap and drizzle a little CA on it.see what happens.Maybe you don't need the heat from the iron.
BTW NPGJ[:D]

Skye

Lol, thanks man

The white band is the powder. I turned down the groove, put on some powder, put on some CA. Repeated till the void was full of CA hardened powder then turned it all down. The CA pretty much rolls off a pile of the powder. You need to really work at it. It's not really made for that.

Thanks Jason, I'm my own worst critic. I’m pretty critical of everyones work though, so it evens out [:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The white band is the powder.
That's why you are supposed to save all the little pieces of antler.
Which sounds better.
"The accent band is some powder I put in a groove and CA'd the He77 out of "
or
"That's an white tail deer antler accent".
Or save the dust from antler(I have been known to sand antler just to get the dust from it
This is an antler dust inlay

20061020141725_browning%20inlay.jpg
<br />

angboy

Nice pen. But I'm still stuck on wondering who keeps embossing powder in their closet, and what else might be in there if that's the kind of thing you're finding!

vick

Very nice Skye I actually really like the design it is somewhere between a fat boy design and russline. I use embosssing powder to fill cracks in bowls but have never tried it on pens.
Oh and the finish looks wonderful as well.

Skye

Thanks!

Well, I also found a heat gun in the bag too. I've already tried bending some plexi, works like a charm! Just need the right plexy and a way to cut it out. Hey, I'm 1/3 of the way there [:p]

Skye

Thanks, I'm going to try some BLO soon, just have to find somewhere local that carries it. I dont think the box store or Lowes does. Where does everyone else get theirs?

bonefish

Skye:

I copied one of your designs, using the wood center band. The band is Coco Bolo, and the body of the pen is Kingwood.

Not the best fit and finish in the world, but something different, anyway.

Something else you or someone might know about. Can Shellac be used as sanding sealer?

Robert

20061020233745_Coco%20Bolo%201.jpg
<br />

bonefish

When I was trimming up the blank on my bandsaw, I made a slight mistake. I cut about 1/8 inch of the brass tube off.

That thing at the nib is a decorative center band from a Slim Line. It was either scrap a piece of pretty nice Kingwood, or improvise.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom