Screw capped Nib twist slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi all, this was another fun one to make. The male and female threads are from an old small bore water T-piece. I just cut off one of the male theads, and squared it up. I turned the nut round with a file ( of course :D) and stuck it in the cap.
In hindsight, I would try to make it thinner, perhaps by making the 'nut' look like a cb. I would also remove a couple of threads in the cap as it has too many turns to get the cap on and off.The twist is just below the threaded bit.
Hope you like it too:D
200733232911_SLCapped.jpg

20073323303_SLuncapped.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Pikebite

Steve - trying to be constuctive I think the idea of this pen is great. You seem to be coming up with some really interesting ideas recently. I, like you, think this pen is a little fat but I have to say that the quality of the wok you are producing at the moment is first rate.

What size brass tube did you use?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Pikebite
<br />....
What size brass tube did you use?

Richard, one and a half normal 7mm slimline tubes in the main body and the other half to hold the clip in the cap. For this one, I had to leave it fat to accommodate the nut threads. Perhaps I could have made it a little thinner, as is, but there is no metal between the cap threads and the short bit of tube holding the clip.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Quick tip for anyone who is gonna try this....

drill the hole to suit the SL tube in the male threads BEFORE cutting it off!!! Trust me[:D]

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A beautiful pen, and an intersting source for the threads.

"Fatness is in the eye of the beholder. I like this one, but am wondering what it would look like if the ends were closed and the clip was recessed, and,,,, There are so many more possibilities.

Do I see a small machinist's lathe in your future so you can start making your own fittings and threads??[:D]

pete00

Steve

you'll have to guess what im working on[:D], but
did you know that the standard brass lamp repair kits and fittings like these,from home depot. The long one is a 12" hollow threaded rod.

200734182630_lamp%20DSC00923.jpg
<br />

Will accept a 7mm tube right out of the box.....like this.
200734182757_lamp%20DSC00924.jpg
<br />

actually i just found out......[}:)]

So now you have a lot less cutting and drilling to do.

pete
btw, my whole purpose in life now is to find out something clever like this that you didnt know....you didnt know did you ??[:D][:D]

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Guys

Bruce, you don't have to steal something that is free[:D]You are welcome to it ( the idea, not my pen[:D])

Joe, you are supossed to be able to write with your pens??????[}:)]
I guess if I was writing an essay, it may be a bit uncomfortable, but this was just an exercise. I cant remember when I used a pen for more than signing something.

Pete, oh Pete.... my little brass t-piece cost me a couple of pence.
For me to get that rod from Home Depot, I would have to pay airfare,hire car, hotel.....just kidding. That is a great idea, but is it brass or brass plated? I try to dull the threads a bit which would take the plate off, if it is.
Let me guess, you're making a 'penlight'?[:eek:)]

I'm half way through rising to Russ's challenge. But I'll leave the recessed clip to the pro's like him and Garry Rhoades. This one will have a piece of the nut exposed to look like a cb, and the body and cap will have a hex spiral. The main body will be closed ended.
I am now sitting in another crummy hotel for this week, so it will have to wait till I get back.

Cheers and thanks for comments[:D]

johncrane

Steven! Wow very well thought out l love it' the slime line wins again, with very little outlay it sure is one of the best kits out there to have a play with.And you' Russ' Jay' and others have shown the many possibilities that can be done to it so thank you.[;)][:p][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom