The scream and a Bulls eye

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BigShed

BigShed

Some time ago I did my first ribbon casts and never did anything with them.

Was looking for some interesting blanks for a series of 6 bullet pens I was doing and came across them

IMG%5D
20081102_008.jpg

One of them came up with an unexpected bonus, a bulls eye.
Rather appropriate for a bullet pen I thought.

IMG_0914.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the other side, very much like Edvard Munch's The Scream, obviously scored a hit!

IMG_0941.jpg

Here is the blank in question, third from left. The 6 blanks have been truned down to a couple of mm over the max size needed on my metal lathe, makes short, and accurate, work of things.

IMG_0855.jpg

From left to right:

Black PR (own cast), Red PR (own cast), Bulls eye/Scream (own ribbon cast), Blue Dymond wood, Red Dymond wood, Jungle Camo PR (own cast)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

There we go ! Beauties my friend . Very nice work . What are the chances that circle would show up ?

Wouldn't like to put a number on it, but it illustrates that you can't judge a book by its' cover. The blank in question is the bottom one in the first pic, would never have picked it. In fact I did those last November and they didn't excite me, so put them away!

all but one works for me Dale. I like it. I need to try some of those ribbon casts when I get set up for casting.

Justin, yes the whole casting thing is a blast! Ribbon casting has some challenges though, I have experienced some adhesion problems between the ribbons and the secondary cast at times.

BigShed

Thank you for your kind comments one and all!

Dawn, to get praise from a master (mistress?) caster is icing on the cake, thank you.

Yes, love doing the bulk of the work on the metal lathe, if I wasn't so busy doing other things I would have that tool rest made by now doing all my turning the metal lathe.

I will be posting the other 5 pens from this batch shortly, but I thought this pen deserved a thread on its' (unique) own.

BigShed

They look real good Fred. I just don't care for the bulky gun clip.

I think rifle clips are an acquired taste, when I started making bullet pens I didn't like them that much, but customers asked for them. Must admit they are starting to grow on me, particularly in chrome and copper.

As for bulky, hmm which of the 2 clips here is the bulkiest? One is a standard Streamline clip (Dayacom) the other is a rifle clip.

IMG_0892.jpg

Even the standard slimline clip is bigger than the rifle clip, copper this time

IMG_0895.jpg

Top Bottom