Scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan26

Dan26

A few weeks ago I gave a friend some boards from a tree in my backyard. He used some of the spalting for panels in some boxes and they came out beautiful. He then handed me the leftover scraps. They were pretty small but I thought I could get some slims out of them. I turned this one today and was surprised by outcome. What is really neat are what looks like "J8" near the nib. I never know what I'll find inside. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Streamline-02---01.jpg
    Streamline-02---01.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 280
  • Streamline-02-003.jpg
    Streamline-02-003.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 276
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ghostrider

Thanks for the pics, and nice pen. I like the salted look. I've got a bunch of spalted maple, but the one time I tried to do one, it blew out using the mill on it. I plan on trying my hand at stabilizing before trying again (another project).

ctubbs

Beautiful pen. Very good fit and finish especially on spalted stuff. I prefer wood to plastic mostly because one can never tell until the last second just what will show when finished. It seams that God builds a surprise in each blank.

As for the blanks blowing out of soft wood, I always try to soak the end of soft wood with thin CA well before milling the ends. Then softly, very softly with a sharp tool. This helps prevent that dreaded destruction of the blank. YMMV
Charles

Top Bottom