The Sceptre

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brownsfn2

brownsfn2

The first time I tried one of these pens I was still only a couple of month into pen turnings. When I look back at that pen I can pick out several areas where I went wrong.

I wanted to try it again and give the sceptre a second try. This time I used a custom acrylic from Brooks. I think he called this one oreo but I am not sure. I really liked how it turned out so I thought I would share. I hope it sells better than the last one I made. :)

Have you guys had much success with this kit?

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LL Woodworks

I made one and it sat through three or four shows. Plenty of people picked it up but no buyers. I finally donated it for the local high school band booster auction fund raiser.

brownsfn2

Derek - I am glad you noticed that. I was thinking that as well. It was by accident but I agree that it is a cool effect.

It is interesting that only one of you said they sell. I would like to see what others experience with this pen. Maybe it is not me and they are just too wild looking to appeal to a great many people.

Anyone else sell these all the time?

Maskman080900

The cap is top heavy. Makes it uncomfortable to write with. I think the plastic threads are a weakness, if someone tightens it a little tight they tear apart. Just my experience with that model.

SteveG

I have excellent sales with the NS style. My venue is a Hawaii resort and most sales are impulse buys. My typical sale is in the $145 to $155 range, and the NS sells for $225, offered in a PSI "Fancy" glass window box.
Steve

brownsfn2

Where are the plastic threads? Do you mean inside the cap? Aren't the ones inside the Jr Gent II for example plastic as well? I thought they all were.

RogerH

My experience is the same as Ruby and LL - the NS is a beautiful pen but really doesn't sell well for me, even though I put high end blanks on them and do a very careful job turning and finishing. I have much better luck with Gents, Jr. Gents, Barons, Tritons, etc.

I agree that the cap makes the NS top heavy as another member wrote, but that is true of most of the other postable cap pens I listed.

I have concluded that folks in my area of the Midwest like a less flashy pen.

I like your blank choice and execution on this one.

Brooks803

Looks awesome Ron! I've done better with the scepter in FP more than RB. Haven't really figured out why. The cap is heavy but I don't write with caps posted anyways. Cool blank btw! :wink:

PenMan1

I have sold a few Sceptre fountains but far fewer roller balls. One customer said he liked everything about the pen EXCEPT the roller ball front section. He said it looked "phallic". I never really thought about it before, but I am changing all the NS to fountains.

corian king

I have one that I use all the time.I don't post the cap.I have had pretty good luck and managed to sell everyone that I have made.so far.

brownsfn2

I have sold a few Sceptre fountains but far fewer roller balls. One customer said he liked everything about the pen EXCEPT the roller ball front section. He said it looked "phallic". I never really thought about it before, but I am changing all the NS to fountains.

LOL. Never thought of it until now.

I got a deal on these from someone at IAP that were selling them as extras. I would buy fountain for something like this in the future. I think it is more something a fountain pen collector looks for in a unique pen.

That look was the first thing I noticed when they came out. The few people I've shown pics to noticed the same thing, so I believe that's why the fountains outsell the rollers.

Last edited:

BSea

I personally don't care much for the kit. I do love the blank, and think you do a great job with the fit & finish. The more pens in make, the less I want any bling in the kit. I want the blank (wood or resin) to be the focal point.

brownsfn2

I would tend to agree about the bling. I usually do not buy kits with the crystal in them. It will be interesting to see how this kit does. I am sure there is someone out there that appreciates a good "phallic" pen. :)

Katya

I love Art Nouveau so thought I'd love this pen.. until I made the RB. The grip on it is much too small for me.. not comfortable to write with. Such a shame. I like some elements of the kit, but don't think I'll be making any more unless asked. The FP looks better, but I don't yet have a market for those.

Top Bottom