Scallops and segments oh my!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

Had to try scallops after Mark Gisi's pen chat a couple weeks ago, also had been working on adding some Segmented stuff.
The pen is curly maple and cocobollo, and the trim ring on the cap is a 10 segment crosscut cocobolo glueup.

As always comments and critiques are welcome.

200512306550_MapleCocoOpen1.jpg

2005123065517_MapleCocoClosed1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I like it allot, nicely done.

To offer a critque, I would suggest a narrower CB, maybe even one that matched the other ring on the pen.

Dan: I bet he used a drill press and dowels

Deere41h

Very nicely done Mike. I particularly like the enclosed clip and the closed ends. Makes for a very attractive pen. Did you use a pin chuck?

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron Mc

Nicely done Mike!
Dan, I believe Mike cut the end of the blank off at what looks to be maybe 22.25 degree angles on all sides. Then did the same thing with the darker accent wood. Glued it together and turned. Or you can do one cut and glue at a time and repeat the process.[;)]

vick

Dan - Ron Mc is right I cut the maple blanks at angles using a sled and glued on pieces of cocobolo. With as thin as the snap caps are I had to use a much steeper angle than 22.5, I did not bother measureing it but I would say it is was over 45. On a bigger pen like an El Grande you could go with a shallower angle. Ron in Drums PA suggestion will also give a similiar effect but the angle way seems easier to me.

John - Yes Lamar made we up some new pin chucks that came right before Christmas.

vick

By the way Ron MC thanks for hosting the MP3 file from that chat on your site. I never get a chance to join the chat but I was really happy that I was able to listen to it later.

Ron Mc

Vick, Your very Welcome. Very well done on the pen. I need to try it sometime.

Lou, You can find the chat as well as the links you need for the tutorial on my site here: http://www.mckinneypens.com/penchat.htm

Enjoy.

Ron Mc

Lou,
Sorry about that. I have uploaded the tutorial file to my server and republished so that if it gets moved again the page wont be affected.

vick

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I agree the cap accent band needs a little work still and does not look quite right. When I get home I will do a golden mean comparison on its measurements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom