Scalloped & Segmented Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Seer

Seer

Tired of doing the same old thing and want to improve my skills so I made this on this morning and it almost went into the trash, glad it didn't. I made it from Black Walnut, Maple, amnoyna scraps (color wise) and I think I did ok on it. What do you think, not perfect but I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_5934.jpg
    IMG_5934.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 218
  • IMG_5935.jpg
    IMG_5935.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_5937.jpg
    IMG_5937.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5938.jpg
    IMG_5938.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Jerry -

The segmentation looks very well executed. No gaps or other issues with the woods.

Please take the rest of this as constructive criticism... There is nothing wrong with the pen, just giving my feelings on the pattern.

There is something about the symmetry of it that throws me though. I would recommend the stripes on both ends vs scalloped on one end.

That and I'm confused by the scalloping. Did you scallop only 2 sides (vs 4)? The "medium colored wood" (in the "smaller" scallop) seems straight across. Normally I thought there would be more curvature to it.

Thanks for sharing... I'm hopig to start more segmenting again.

Seer

Jerry -

The segmentation looks very well executed. No gaps or other issues with the woods.

Please take the rest of this as constructive criticism... There is nothing wrong with the pen, just giving my feelings on the pattern.

There is something about the symmetry of it that throws me though. I would recommend the stripes on both ends vs scalloped on one end.

That and I'm confused by the scalloping. Did you scallop only 2 sides (vs 4)? The "medium colored wood" (in the "smaller" scallop) seems straight across. Normally I thought there would be more curvature to it.

Thanks for sharing... I'm hopig to start more segmenting again.

I think the stripes would look better also. I started as scallops on both ends and messed up and there are 4 scallops but 2 are small (not what I wanted) so I put them on this end and the stripes are an after thought since I made the blank too short. Measure twice cut once next time.
I thank you for the comments and hopefully I will get it right next time. Still a learning curve for me after doing the same old thing. Good thing I have lots of scraps to play with lol.

firewhatfire

It only get worse, next you will take perfectly good wood and make scrap just so you can glue it back together.. Keep at it the lines look clean.

Phil

wiset1

There you go! See, it's not that difficult once you get your first one finished...now lets see what else you can do.

Top Bottom