Scalloped CE Jr Victor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Seeing all the recent great scalloped pens inspired me to do one today.
This is a Jr Victor ( Jr Retro ? ) I like the gold and black. Hope you like:)

Attachments

• VictorScallopsCEOpen.jpg
    VictorScallopsCEOpen.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 514
  • VictorScallopCEClosed.jpg
    VictorScallopCEClosed.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 381
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

:eek: You just had to take it there didn't you, ha ha ha!

Looks fantastic! Happy to see this take on it and the gold and black together really adds a punch to the feel of the pens look.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam

Looks fantastic! Happy to see this take on it and the gold and black together really adds a punch to the feel of the pens look.

But I'll take a bet that mine looks different to your method:biggrin: Mine looks like an unrecognisable mess just before it gets drilled and rounded. :eek:
( LOL, ok, some might say it still looks like a mess, so I'll say it first!!:biggrin:)

Attachments

• JustBeforeDrilling.jpg
    JustBeforeDrilling.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 346

Robert111

But I'll take a bet that mine looks different to your method:biggrin: Mine looks like an unrecognisable mess just before it gets drilled and rounded. :eek:
( LOL, ok, some might say it still looks like a mess, so I'll say it first!!:biggrin:)

What the hell is that????????

wiset1

That looks awesome! Just a ball of scalloped coal waiting to be pressed into the diamond. Unless you've done it you can't appreciate the effort, so this looks crazy with an amazing final product. You're right though...I couldn't leave it like this:biggrin:

broitblat

Very elegantly (and precisely) done, as usual.

It's hard to tell, is your picture after the first layer of scallops, or all of them?

-Barry

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks all:wink:

Barry, the pic is after all the scallops ( 16 ) are glued in place. They each start off as random thicknesses and each successive cut with a router takes care of the precision. I use a 1/4 router with a 19mm bit. If I could use one of my big 1/2 router then I could use a wider bit and it would look neat as it was being made. :wink:

firewhatfire

Now that I have time to look at that mess as you call it, I can agree it is something. Now I gotta go start my whole scalloping carreer over if I am ever gonna figure that mess out. The only part I have down is making a mess.

Impresssive work

Phil

76winger

Seeing all the recent great scalloped pens inspired me to do one today.
This is a Jr Victor ( Jr Retro ? ) I like the gold and black. Hope you like:)

Not just scalloped, I think your headed toward fish scales with that one! :wink:

Who's going to be the first to do this all the way down the body? :biggrin:

MarkD

Nice to see your pictures again! They are always inspiring. Thanks for showing the before picture also....the results from that are awesome!

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Not just scalloped, I think your headed toward fish scales with that one! :wink:

Who's going to be the first to do this all the way down the body? :biggrin:

I don't think "more is better" in this case. This is subtle and elegant. Putting
the scales all the way down the tube might be a great challenge, but I
don't see the end result looking better. (feeling better for having done it,
perhaps.)

Looking at the picture of the chuck, I'm pretty sure nature did the scalloping
and Skippy just mounted the raw ore on the lathe. :tongue:

Freethinker

Barry, the pic is after all the scallops ( 16 ) are glued in place. They each start off as random thicknesses and each successive cut with a router takes care of the precision.

Skiprat, I hope you don't mind a question here....

...do you use CA, or epoxy? It seems that to do that many levels (unless you take a looong time between each piece) would require CA, but I'm afraid that if I used CA, the router would eventually "catch" and knock off the piece being glued.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
...do you use CA, or epoxy? It seems that to do that many levels (unless you take a looong time between each piece) would require CA, but I'm afraid that if I used CA, the router would eventually "catch" and knock off the piece being glued.

.. and here-in lies the trick:wink:
My reason for the bulky butt ugly blank is so that the glue joints offer more resistance to seperating than a smaller neatly made blank.
I learnt that trick from a Big Bird from South Carolina:wink:
He used to wrap gauze or even paper around fragile blanks and use liters of CA to re-inforce the outside surfaces. Now the inside can be drilled ( or routered ). Of course, once the tube is glued in it re-inforces from the inside and the outside can now be turned.

I started off using the 'best' brand name CA I could find.
Now I use this cheap no name contractor brand that is sold for mitre joints. It is pretty thick and I use it for everything....Stainless, wood, plastic, aluminium, brass etc etc. I use it for a finish too.
I use it in my shop which is unheated and is .....freezing at the moment.
No issues.

Their 'Super-Glue' version is much thinner and I use it if I need it to stabilize porous wood as I turn.

Edit in; Randall, it's brass shim. CA finish to stop it tarnishing

Attachments

• NEW.jpg
    NEW.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

TucsonCyclist

I look a lot but don't comment that often, but that looks fantastic. Scallops are on my 2012 bucket list and this might be the one that motivates me to get on it.

Top Bottom