Saturday Segmented Slimline

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Band Saw Box

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello All
It's a really nice day here in Hampton , VA around 70 so I moved my lathe outside and turned this segmented slimline. It's Bloodwood & Ash. The Ash is from the weedier handle and the Bloodwood was scrap. I tried an angle cut this time and used CA glue to join the together. The finish is 5 coats of Hut Crystal Coat. I think is came out kind of nice. As always any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 266
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Wish I could say it was a nice day here...we have the temps, but it's the liquid that is making it eck....we've already had four inches since yesterday!

Nice segmenting, nice finish too!!

Scott (makes a fella jealous) B

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Scott. It's good that you have the temps or you could be hip deep in show by now. Thanks for you nice comments on my pen.

ironman123

Dan, nice segmenting and nice looking pen, also nice weather.
We had nice weather 2 days ago. Right now it is raining.

Have a super holiday Season Dan and a safe one.

Ray

firewhatfire

It's so refreshing to help another get the bug to segment pens. Lookng good now for the next step, add a thin veneer of a 3rd kind in between them on the next one.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks Ray for your great comments on my pen. I hope you have a Super Holiday Season as well and you also stay safe. And thank you firewhatfire for you nice comments on my pen. I have a blank with Red Oak Sandwiched between two pieces of Paduck in the clamps right now. I think I'll try a Cigar pen this time if the blank is big enough. I'm not to sure just how it will come out but then that apart of the fun in pen making you never really know just what a wood blank will look like in the end.

Attachments

• IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Ok Steve have you been spying on me. I have most of the CA off my fingers now, I still have a bit of epoxy left. Oh Thanks for the nice comments on my pan.

Last edited:

OZturner

A Nice one Dan,
I support the suggestion of veneering between the segments, I see from your later posting that you already have a Wavey on under Clamp.
Well Done.
I was going to suggest that you use a Soda Can strip between the angle cut segments, but you may have already exceeded that stage.
By the way, pleased to hear that the weather was great at aroung 70 deg F in Virginia.
It is now 10:47 on Sunday, December 22 in Sydney Australia and the forecast is 41 deg C, that is 105.8 deg F. ( I have just thrown that in for all my "Snow Bird" friends in the USA, and those they have left behind)
Mind you, judging by the temp right now I doubt that it will make 105.

Congratulations, and to all Have a Very Merry Christmas, and a Prosperous New Year.
Brian.

Last edited:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for the you nice remarks on my pen and my wavy blank. We were talking about it being summer down under and one of the people we work with told us we were nuts, he does not believe it's summer there. I like the temps in the 70's I don't know about 105. Have a Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year as well.

Parshooter11

Great looking pen, Dan! Tasteful, trendy and very appealing! I'm getting close to start segmenting. Off work for next two weeks, time to get at it! Should have about 8" of snow by tomorrow night....ugh!! Good news...no where we have to be!

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Hello Parshooter11. Please keep the 8" of snow up there please, that much snow down here would bring this place to a stand still. Thanks for such nice comments on my pen. I hope your segmenting comes out well. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and Great New Year.

SteveJ

You've shown some really nice segmented pens recently. I like it that you've been doing them on slims. The wavy blank should end up looking great. When the weather turns better here I hope to get back to that - we haven't seen 70 degrees in well over a month. :(

Merry Christmas to you and yours!

Steve

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Thanks for much for your wonderful comments on my segmented pens. I have to say they are fun to make. I still get a bit nerve's when I start to turn a new blank and go from one part of the blank to the other wondering if the glue joint will hold. I'm working on another blank it red oak cut in half (straight cut) with a piece of paduck glued in between then cut in half again and another piece of paduck glued in between to form a cross. I'll try another slimline with that one.

Nice finish on your segmented pen! Interesting combination of colors and choice of pen style! The combinations are endless aren't they! I had a great nights sleep here in south AR after the tornado warnings and torrential rains of Saturday.... hopefully Monday will find me in the shop (dry) and I think I will try a segmented pen!

firewhatfire

here is a tip for the concern about the change from one wood to the next. If you start turning and find that one is saoft you can always stop along the way and drizzle the blank with thin CA and let it soak in and start turning again(sorta stabilizes it)

StuartCovey

Thanks Ray for your great comments on my pen. I hope you have a Super Holiday Season as well and you also stay safe. And thank you firewhatfire for you nice comments on my pen. I have a blank with Red Oak Sandwiched between two pieces of Paduck in the clamps right now. I think I'll try a Cigar pen this time if the blank is big enough. I'm not to sure just how it will come out but then that apart of the fun in pen making you never really know just what a wood blank will look like in the end.

Those type of pens always look great. And nice job on the pen, it looks great!

Top Bottom