Satin Chrome Ultra + Spalted Pecan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kokopelli2010

Kokopelli2010

Just made today as well....using a blank of spalted pecan which I turned down using a 1" belt sander belt to avoid chipout from gouges. The voids were filled with brass shavings which seemed to fit in well with the naturally grey grainy void/veins. I used a tiniest amount of wood conditioner and heat rubbed dry before applying 10 coats of thin CA followed by wet sanding to 12000 grit then 1 coat of PlasticX for scratches and 2 coats of carnauba wax for finger print prevention! I love working with unusual or difficult woods! So far my finishing system seems to be giving me consistent results...(Crossing fingers):wink:

Attachments

• spalted pecan ultra cigar with satin chromeWEB.jpg
    spalted pecan ultra cigar with satin chromeWEB.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 303
  • spalted pecan ultra cigar with satin chromeWEB2.jpg
    spalted pecan ultra cigar with satin chromeWEB2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 181
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

I bought some spalted pecan blanks last month, and I soaked one pretty well with CA, but have not turned it yet. Your description of your process has me just mildly nervous about proceeding. :eek:

Rangertrek

I did about a dozen spalted Pecan for a client a few months back. None of the blanks were stabilized or filled. I just turned them about half way and checked for voids and loose pieces. Thin CA was used to fill areas and soak the blank. Kept turning about half way again, same procedure. Turned almost to final size, check again, fill with ca as needed. Had a few minor problems; but, everything worked out well. Just use sharp tools, light pressure, and go slowly. You should be able to get good results.

LeeR

Give it a try!

Yes ... your reply reminds me of when I was into high power rocketry. Someone would suggest that the wind was too high, and they were sure they would lose their rocket. Seeking advice, most people would respond "I'd fly it if it if I were you".

:)

But I do like the idea of alternating the turning / CA soaking cycles as needed. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Top Bottom