Sapphire Triton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sappheiros

Sappheiros

Played around with a new blank I got in the mail recently. Sapphire Buckeye Burl blank from CSUSA on a Triton rollerball kit. I'm getting the hang of this CA finishing.

The wood ended up with some nicks in it. I thought my 9 or so CA layers would've helped with that. Next time, I think medium CA for the finish might work better (?).

Attachments

• IMG_8274_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8274_1440x1080.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_8278_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8278_1440x1080.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_8279_1080x1440.jpg
    IMG_8279_1080x1440.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_8280_1440x1080.jpg
    IMG_8280_1440x1080.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_8282_1080x1440.jpg
    IMG_8282_1080x1440.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 170
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Nice looking piece .

Usually best to fill major defects (ballpark greater than about 1/16 inch dia and/or 5 thou depth) after a couple coats of thin . I use medium or sometimes thick with CA , just a spot on the defect , file or turn back down to about round if I get it too thick , re-sand , then proceed with more thin . I only use medium over the entire blank if I have many small voids - which is fairly often because of the stuff I like to work with .

Last edited:

OZturner

Avi, Your photograph shows radial scratches on the Blank.
These indicate that you have difficulty with your Abrasion Finish.
CA will fill the grooves, and subsequent sanding will smooth the Surface, but it will not hide or eliminate the Scratches, that are now covered by "X" coats of CA.
You should concentrate on eliminating the Scratches on the Blank.
With regard to the chips, they could be the result of Technique.
When using a Temperamental Material, such a Coarse Burl, one has to be careful removing material, else sections and chips will pop out.
Fine Cuts with a Sharp Tool, probably a Skew is the best way to attempt any Course Burl, another way is to seal the Burl with CA, progressively as you turn.
Elimination of Chips, is a lot easier, than trying to repair one.
Remember CA will fill the void,so that you don't feel it, after further sanding, but being Clear it will still show.
It is a shame, but take it as an opportunity to develop and improve your skills.
I don't know if you have had any tutoring, or if you are completely self taught, but it may be worth contacting your local group, and seek some hands on assistance, and skill building.

Brian.

Sappheiros

Brian, it's been a bit of a rough road. I'm completely self taught as there is little around me in Chicago. I did find out there is an AAW chapter a bit under an hour from me, so I'm hoping to get to the September meeting. All that I've learned, I've learned from videos and mistakes and the forum and all the advice I've received here. I haven't found anything too close to me. I think the learning process is a longer one as a result.

I think one problem I had, since there are many tiny holes, is they weren't all showing in my workshop while turning from the dust. I just received some denatured alcohol so it can help with a quick wet and dry wipe.

Thanks for all of the advice! I treasure each bit of advice I receive. I always tell myself, the next pen will be even better!

MDWine

... I always tell myself, the next pen will be even better!

...and they will be. It takes time to find your way of doing things, and discovering the process that works for you. You're off to a great start!

Most of us learned much before we got before another turner and go some "hands on" assistance, so hang in there... you're right on track!

Happy Turning! :rotfl:

Top Bottom