Sapele and Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mrrichieboy

mrrichieboy

Finished this one last week...another inlay pen, this time with a Sapele body and the Ebony inlay along with a sliver of Maple to give it a little definition. 12,000mm, CA finish polished with PlastX. Black Ti and Platinum Cigar Hybrid kit.---Rich

Attachments

• Sapele Ebony Maple Hybrid cigar 1-2.jpg
    Sapele Ebony Maple Hybrid cigar 1-2.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 276
  • Sapele Ebony Maple Hybrid cigar 1-3.jpg
    Sapele Ebony Maple Hybrid cigar 1-3.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 194
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

Rich - Nice looking pen and great concept. Now take your design a little further. Center your segments so that they are in the middle of the sections. Another change would be to have your maple both on the outside or inside. I am not saying anything is wrong with what you have done, but looking at the photo (it may just be the photo and my eyes) it seems a bit our of balance aesthetically. Kind of like it was stretched and the segments fell in the wrong place. If you want to get brave and add another element to your design put a slice of aluminum after the maple. The color combo is great. Another thing to watch out for is that ebony. I did something like this a few years back with pink ivory and ebony. It looked great and still does, but the ebony shrank after a few months and you can feel a height difference from the pink ivory to the ebony that wasn't there when the pen was made. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

mrrichieboy

Rich - Nice looking pen and great concept. Now take your design a little further. Center your segments so that they are in the middle of the sections. Another change would be to have your maple both on the outside or inside. I am not saying anything is wrong with what you have done, but looking at the photo (it may just be the photo and my eyes) it seems a bit our of balance aesthetically. Kind of like it was stretched and the segments fell in the wrong place. If you want to get brave and add another element to your design put a slice of aluminum after the maple. The color combo is great. Another thing to watch out for is that ebony. I did something like this a few years back with pink ivory and ebony. It looked great and still does, but the ebony shrank after a few months and you can feel a height difference from the pink ivory to the ebony that wasn't there when the pen was made. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing.

I appreciate the feedback....thought about adding the 2nd strip of maple, but just wanted to accent it, not highlight it. Noticed that it was a bit off center, but was too late to change at the time...good thing is that both pieces are equally off center so they are at least matching!!!

This ebony has been drying in my shop for a year....have had the identical things happen as you mentioned and cannot stand the feeling of the height differential! Just starting to use aluminum again, now that I understand better how to cut and drill it....have tried in the past with bad results! Will add that I've used Pink Ivory in the past and boy does that stuff tend to crack and shrink. Thanks---Rich

turn4fun

I like the segments being off center. I think it's more interesting than if they were dead center in the middle of the blanks. Also like your use of only one maple strip for a high light on this pen. Nice work!.. Larry

Top Bottom