San Quentin Prison Hospital

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

Here are two photos of the same pen, which was made from wood from the San Quentin Prison Hospital. I intended to make a Liberty pen, but the blank literally blew apart while drilling it. I had enough left - just enough - to make a bolt action pen. Probably more appropriate given the source of the wood.

As in my first post tonight, I need your help in deciding which of the two pictures shows off the pen best: the one on the plain black granite tile, or the one balanced on the two lava rocks.

Thanks for your indulgence and patience.

Your comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• San Quentin.jpg
    San Quentin.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 188
  • San Quentin 2.jpg
    San Quentin 2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Ok, I'll give a vote for the lava rock. But just use 1 piece so the pen sits at an angle.

Wood with a story is always cool. :good:

walshjp17

Lava rock is my choice with, as Bob noted, just a single piece at the cap end. IMO, there is more light in the lava rock photo to show off the details.

Last edited:

elkhorn

Thanks, everyone. I guess I'm leaning towards the plain background as well. I'll try the pen with just one lava rock and see how it looks.

Les, I've been trying to find just the right shade of granite for a reflective surface for those pens that require a lighter background, but still have not found just the right piece yet.

Have a great day, everyone!

Top Bottom