San Francisco Fire Department Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Fireengines

Fireengines

These are wooden ladder rungs from the San Francisco Fire Department (SFFD).

Only about a dozen departments still use wooden ladders. Firefighters in cities with many high-voltage overhead wires, including those that power Muni lines in San Francisco. The SFFD prefer wood ladders because they don't conduct electricity like aluminum or wet fiberglass ladders do.

The Department's ladder shop repairs and makes new ladders. Many of San Francisco's fire ladders look like antiques because they are. Some date back to 1919 and are perfectly restored and in use today. What started out as a 35 foot ground ladder will end up as a small attic ladder by reusing the wood. I understand these are from the 1920's.

Sorry, all of the rungs have been spoken for.

Attachments

• sffdwood.jpg
    sffdwood.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 265
  • sffdpen1-1.jpg
    sffdpen1-1.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 245
  • sffdpen1-2.jpg
    sffdpen1-2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 239
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Turned out really nice, Larry!!

I think the simple hardware does a great job of showcasing the historic wood. Well done!!

Ed

PaulDoug

Makes a nice pen. Interesting origin. I'd be tempted to make a SFFD emblem decal and attach. Like some do with the whiskey barrel pens.

Fireengines

To finish the pen, I kept the sanding down to minimal to keep the grain. I used amber water based stain from Rockler and let it dry for two days. I them filled the grain with ash from a burned piece of pine.

I covered the turned rung with thin CA that removed some of the ash but kept the ash in the deep gain. Finally, I finished normally using CA.

I have some SFFD stickers I will use on my next pen.

Top Bottom