Sambar Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Gary Max

I have been busy making pens all day---this is one of them.
Blank is Sambar Ivory---Super nice but cost big bucks

Attachments

• sambar.jpg
    sambar.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 360
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

erbymcbrayer

Hey Gary, Beautiful pen and a great job. Where did you get the blank, I am new at pen turning, only been turning about 5 monyhs and this is a new blank for me ? Erby McBrayer

Gary Max

The finish is just sanded out MM to 12000 and a quick buff with a good auto wax.
I bought two dozen of these blanks 3 years ago from a knife maker. I hunt for blanks every where I can.
The knife maker did call it Sambar Ivory not antler-----this will feel and look like Mammoth Ivory fairly fast as it ages.

gerryr

Try doing a Google search on Sambar Ivory and see how many hits you get. It's about being truthful when dealing with customers. If someone sells me some wood they claim is "X" but I know it's "Y", that is not a legitimate reason for me to perpetuate the falsehood.

Last edited:

Rifleman1776

Try doing a Google search on Sambar Ivory and see how many hits you get. It's about being truthful when dealing with customers. If someone sells me some wood they claim is "X" but I know it's "Y", that is not a legitimate reason for me to perpetuate the falsehood.

There is no untruth involved at all. And it is inappropriate to suggest someone is doing that. There are many terms used in all avocations that may not be technically accurate. Some folks call antlers 'horns', it is a colloquialism. Calling Sambar 'ivory' is a compliment to it's beauty. And the designation "Sambar ivory" clearly designates what it is and is not. In my opinion, you owe Gary an apology.

Gary Max

When the day comes that I have to check with you if I can post on this site------I won't.
You have done this several times now and I have had my fill of it.
Everything from my stone pens to the Sambar-------if you have some problem with me you need to stay away from my post. To begin with it's againt the rules unless you don't think they apply to you.
I will not post on this tread again ------so you just go ahead and run your mouth.

marcruby

I think it's a beautiful pen! As far as naming the material, as long as it is called 'sambar ivory' I don't see a problem. It's not like you're trying to fool anyone.

Marc

Rifleman1776

When the day comes that I have to check with you if I can post on this site------I won't.
You have done this several times now and I have had my fill of it.
Everything from my stone pens to the Sambar-------if you have some problem with me you need to stay away from my post. To begin with it's againt the rules unless you don't think they apply to you.
I will not post on this tread again ------so you just go ahead and run your mouth.

Gary, unfortunately some folks on this forum are allowed to castigate others and get away with it. That questionable privilege is not extended to everyone.
Please note my signature. Do stick around, most here appreciate you.

bitshird

Nice looking pen Gary, Pretty nice antler/ivory, looks like that's the stuff to make pens from, long straight pieces, kind of pricey but sure is pretty.

Top Bottom