Sambar Deer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

Picked up one piece of this last week when I was out buying snake skin.
This is antler from a Sambar deer---real REAL nice stuff to work with as a matter of fact it's the best antler I have ever turned. To only bad thing I could say ---it is very hard---which is also a very good thing.
Anyway both pics are all the same pen----Baron----
The high end set---plastic flowers---sitting on the BBQ grill.

20061028214754_sam1.jpg

20061028214846_sam2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Max

Lou it's great to work with---Drilled at 850rpms and it had curls for shavings. I called the guy this afternoon and ordered some more of it.
PastorBill--Thanks I sent you a email.
Eagle---I just knew someone would love the flowers.
As hard as it is to get a pic of a real white pen I kinda thought it can out nice. But I ain't real hard to get along with.

DocStram

Gary I have a piece of Sambar I haven't gotten to yet. Did you run ca down the inside of the blanks? Did you use ca on the outside while turning and sanding?

cozee

Anyway both pics are all the same pen----Baron----
The high end set---plastic flowers---sitting on the BBQ grill.

Yeah, yeah, nice pen, nice flowers. What I want to know is did you get the rest of the deer to put on the grill and which sauce should I bring?!!!!??!?!

Okay, that is one very good looking pen!

Gary Max

Al --that's part of the really hard stuff that is good. There is no CA on this pen---it works so nice you really do not need anything extra.
Travis---I like it even better than Axis ---except for the cost. Blanks are $10.00 per---.
Cozee---- After I made the pen---I went out back with a shotgun ---3 inch mags----we are having fresh Turkey for dinner tonight. I am thinking 3 hours in the oven with carrots and onions. Cooked real slow @ 325 degrees. Where I live it's call putting food on the table[:D] Oh dinners about 4;00 if your in this part of the world stop in.

Gary Max

I got the Sambar from a knife maker----he does not sell his material---I meet them at a show this spring and I have been keeping in touch. Making friends with the right folks can be a big plus and it's nice to share with them. I know this ain't the answer you wanted but it's the only one I got.

Gary,
I use a lot of deer horn.. don't know Axis from Sambar as far as the horn goes... I bought mine in Texas at an Antique/Junk dealer store... the guy runs a game farm and has a room about 10 x 25 where he just throws the horns on the floor... you pick through them... hope to stop by in Nov when I go home for Tgivings...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom