Salvaged BLM Burl Pieces

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JD Combs Sr

JD Combs Sr

I have some BLM burl pieces, bowl blank cut-offs courtesy of a friend on another forum, I have used most of the larger pieces but still have some 1-2 inches long. Here are a couple I salvage by casting two in red Alumilite. I painted the inside of the drilled blank black, kinda wish I had used white but will try white next time.

Pen is a CSUSA chrome long clicker. Finish is 10 coats of med CA polished to 12000mm.
In areas where the resin goes all the way to the tube it appears black, white would have showed the red better.
IMG_6171_0_2_Detail.jpg IMG_6174_3_5_Detail.jpg

C&C appreciated.​

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

White would have turned it more of a pink-ish color....silver/gray would almost be the best way to show the 'real color' of the resin(YMMV).

Cool save on two nice pieces of timber! Would make a nice addition to anyone's collection!!

Scott (BLM, the rock-n-roll blimp) B

BSea

I agree with Scott, white will probably wash out the color. Personally, I think the black looks pretty good with the red. But a great looking pen regardless. I really like the long clicker. It's one of my favorite kits, and by far my favorite click kit.

JD Combs Sr

I agree with Scott, white will probably wash out the color. Personally, I think the black looks pretty good with the red. But a great looking pen regardless. I really like the long clicker. It's one of my favorite kits, and by far my favorite click kit.
Thanks Bob, this is my first long clicker but I will be making some more.

White would have turned it more of a pink-ish color....silver/gray would almost be the best way to show the 'real color' of the resin(YMMV). Cool save on two nice pieces of timber! Would make a nice addition to anyone's collection!! Scott (BLM, the rock-n-roll blimp) B
Thanks Scott, after thinking about it I agree but I think a nickel plated or silver tube would work nicely.

Good save !! Jim S
Thanks Jim, it may not be up to Mesquiteman's standards for a waste-wood blank but I like it.

Great looking pen! That black spot adds some contrast. Looks great just like it is.
Thanks again Billy.

Top Bottom