Salvaged Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lkorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkorn

I turned these Antler Pens this past w/e.
One is a Slimline, the other two are PSI, MontBlanc (Euro kits). The pen with the blackwood insert was a serious slavage. When I assembled the original (Antler only) pen the lower barrel had been ground too short by about 1/8". The pen tip would protrude in the closed position, and was therefore undeliverable to customer.

Sooo... I found some smaller brass tubing at a hobby shop. CUT the finished lower half, glued in the tube and blackwood insert. Back to the lathe. cut shaped and refinished. VOILA! One salvaged pen.

All were finished with CA, MM 12000 & TSW.
Sorry about the lousy photo's I'm still experimenting.

2005324132312_antler.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Great looking pens and a really great save on the one. I wish someone would discover and share [:D] a way to square the antler in the vise in order to drill straight even on the curved sections. Will be using your save idea on several blowouts of my own.

Gary Max

pastorbill1952--- you just square the antler with a sander before you drill it. I use a 12 inch disk sander and just slowly get them close to square. After I drill the hole--I remove it from the vise and go back to the sander and round the corners just a little. Sound like a lot of work but it really saves time and antlers. You really need to watch the heat when doing this and your finger tips. Hope this little ideal helps.

dougle40

In answer to Pasror Bill's question about squaring antler . Eagle asked me to post this for you .

Post this if you will pastor Bill had a question in show off your Pens

"I use different methods to get antler ready to turn,cutting and drilling.
The way I started was to cut a section about an 1/8 longer than necessary but as much extra as you can get is better.
I try to pick a section that I can determine a straight line in.
Cut the two ends parallel.Bandsaw is best for this.
At this point I use a Bessy cabinet clamp to hold the piece on my bandsaw sled to cut one straight side.I place the clamp against the fence and it makes a decent rip cut.It doesn't have to be pretty. After that side is cut I rotate it 90º, place it back in the clamp and cut another side.
The other 2 cuts are not necessary,the 2 cuts forming the 90º will hold it in the pen vice for drilling.

Another method I use when the antler is small in diameter is to turn it round between centers and drill on the lathe.
This necessitates having a Scroll chuck or a collet system but works well.Either one is a good investment.:>)
Eagle"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom