Salt and Pepper Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AultMan

AultMan

I usually post maple burl because I have a pile of nice blanks. Generally while I sort through my boxes of maple burl, there is a buckeye burl that lives on top of the pile. I usually pick it up and imagine what it could be then remember that it doesn't fit in the bandsaw and throw it back to its home on top of the maple.

Well today I found out that before there was electricity, people had these things called "hand saws" and it turns out, I have one hanging on the wall. (Seriously, google "hand saw", it is a real thing.) After making sure there wasn't any way to plug it in, I figured out how it works and was able to cut the burl in half so it would fit on a real saw.

Anyway, I cut a bunch of blanks and decided to make a match for the maple pen I carry a lot. Results are shown in attached photos. I'm pretty happy with it.

I like the lighter color buckeye myself, but there are some interesting dark pieces that fell out in the pile too.

Attachments

• IMG_6152.jpg
    IMG_6152.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_6153.jpg
    IMG_6153.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_6154.jpg
    IMG_6154.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6155.jpg
    IMG_6155.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

I usually post maple burl because I have a pile of nice blanks. Generally while I sort through my boxes of maple burl, there is a buckeye burl that lives on top of the pile. I usually pick it up and imagine what it could be then remember that it doesn't fit in the bandsaw and throw it back to its home on top of the maple.

Well today I found out that before there was electricity, people had these things called "hand saws" and it turns out, I have one hanging on the wall. (Seriously, google "hand saw", it is a real thing.) After making sure there wasn't any way to plug it in, I figured out how it works and was able to cut the burl in half so it would fit on a real saw.

Anyway, I cut a bunch of blanks and decided to make a match for the maple pen I carry a lot. Results are shown in attached photos. I'm pretty happy with it.

I like the lighter color buckeye myself, but there are some interesting dark pieces that fell out in the pile too.

Hilarious! That's a great pen also. Well worth what you had to put into pushing and pulling that saw.

Haynie

if you have any more of these burl issues you are welcome to send the irritating things to me. That way you don't have to keep seeing them

So how do you push the wood through a hand saw if there is no electricity to make the blade move?

Charlie_W

Before we had power everything and variable/reversable tools, we and our ancestors were "Going Green" and didn't know it!

BTW, Nice job on the pens and cool blanks too!

Charlie

GoatRider

I've always used a handsaw to cut my blanks. In fact, I've just replaced my miter box because the old one was nearly sawn through. Nice pens, btw. I need to do more buckeye.

Top Bottom