A sad pen to make

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Terredax

Terredax

Banned
I know, I had to give up making pens, but this one has a story.

A few weeks ago we had a new neighbor move in.
One day, I saw the garage door open and heard someone stirring around, so I took the opportunity to go over and welcome them to the neighborhood.

To my amazement, the garage was full of machines. I welcomed the gentleman and we started talking. The conversation got around to woodworking and I noticed he had a huge Oneway lathe. I told him I started to make some pens a while back and asked him if he made any. He had and I explained that I had to sell my lathe and pen making stuff.

He said anytime I would like to come over and putz around, I'm more than welcome to. Today, I took him up on his offer.

Now to the pen. I was clearing some stuff out of my little shop and I found a box that said pens on it. I opened it up and found some of the pens that I had started drilling and gluing back before I injured my knee. The kits are in there for the blanks I have glued up and I had forgot all about these.

Anyway, I found this particular blank, ready to go. I started this pen for a close friend that was in bad health. I had hoped this pen would brighten his spirits and bring him a smile. He didn't smile anymore and didn't laugh.
He just wasn't himself and I wanted to see him the way he used to be, even if only for a moment.
Well, right after starting on this pen is when I injured my knee. So I was unable to get back to making any pens and I had forgot about this one.
During the recovery process for my knee, my dear friend passed. I never got to finish this pen for him and never got to see that smile. When I saw this blank, it hit me kind of hard, remembering when I started it and for whom it was for.
So, upon finding this box, and the open invitation next door, I decided to finish this pen. Not for me, but for my friend. I only wish that he could have seen it and gave me that smile. As I was turning it, I was remembering his smile and laughter from the days when he was in better condition.

I apologize for the long post, but this pen is very special to me and I will be keeping it.

The sun popped out for this photo.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

acc78

Sorry to hear that. Back in February my dad asked me to help him with somethING and I took that opportunity to take some pens I made to him to let him choose one. I took a pen I made for myself as well as one of the choices he could choose from and he choose that one, I told him I made that one for myself but I was honored he choose that one. Sadly he passed away in May and I told my siblings there was really only one thing I wanted and that was the pen since it had sentimental value to me.

acc78

Nice pen for your friend, I'm sure he would have loved it. I would make my childhood friend of 33 years a pen but sadly he has ALS, wheel chair bound, can't move his arms or legs, think maybe I will still make him a pen to show him how much he means to me! So I can see his smile, honestly he has keep a really posting attitude despite his ALS.

Your story has inspired me thanks ;)

Last edited:

thepenfriend

Being a Christian man I had to pause in the middle of your story and pray for you and your friend. It sounds like a wonderful relationship was formed between the two of you and now you have something that will always remind you of him and perhaps put a smile on your face as well.

It is a beautiful pen and looks like it was made with all heart. I hope you get to form a relationship with your new neighbor and perhaps give us another work of art.

Thank you for sharing your story and God Bless...

OZturner

John a Beautiful Pen, and a Heart Touching Story.
Obviously, Your Friend, and This Pen mean a lot to you.
It is also apparent that you are a very sensitive and caring person.
I am sure that your Friend would want you to continue expressing yourself through your Pens, particularly considering your new access to a lathe.
There are a lot of People out there that need, contact and association of someone who cares.
Your Pens may be just the way, you can make contact, and a difference to their lives
God Bless you,
Brian.

SteveAxelrod

That's a beautiful pen! We penturners are truly blessed. We have a hobbly that we can immerse ourselves in, spend hours at a stretch and not even notice the time go by, get caught up in the minute details and never run out of new things to try; each finished pen is a marvel and the journey each one takes us on is always an adventure. No sooner are we done with one and we're all excited about what to make next. Our boxes of blanks are each a treasure chest and we're constantly looking for a new one to add to our hoard. The relatively small time and expense it costs to make them makes pens an easy way to give a little piece of ourselves away and each gift is a way to touch another and share our happiness - because we're turners and life doesn't get any better. Keep turning!

Terredax

Banned
I'm speechless. This being only my second pen that I have completed and all of the kind comments, I can only say thank you.
I didn't expect much feedback since I haven't made a lot of pens and my ability isn't close to the people here, but based on the comments, I'm positive my friend, who's name is Ray, would have enjoyed it.

I used the pen a few times today and each time, I reflected on a good time that Ray and I had. I caught myself getting lost in the memories and not getting much accomplished. It's hard to believe that something so simple, can have so much value.

I have a few other blanks and kits still in the box.
I might try to finish them, however, I'm sure none of them will have much meaning. They were just ideas without a recipient.

MDWine

It is stories like this that color our lives. Your life was more colorful because of your friend, and he will live on through (and in) you! The pen is a nice tribute, and will remind you of him each time you see it... and when someone admires it, you have the opportunity to share the story and bring your friend back, if only for a few minutes at a time... well done sir!

Top Bottom