"S is for Subtle"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

I got this cool Red and Black Marbled Ebonite blank from exoticblanks. This is my first time ever having worked with the stuff and it is very interesting to say the least! For starts it smells bad when working it as it is mainly rubber based. I found that it was very nice to cut though and not too bad to turn either. Surprisingly, this is the first material that I have found that I actually turn better with my left hand.

The whole subtle part. I'm not too sure how well it shows up in the pics, but there is an "S" design segmented in there with black veneer. Done purposefully of course, I wanted some design work but not something that was going to take from the coolness of the blank itself.

I honestly am not sure what the best finish is for Ebonite, but since I had the veneer in there to protect as well I went with a coat of BLO and 3 coats of thin CA.

Thanks for lookin'. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• S is for Subtle.jpg
    S is for Subtle.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 312
  • S is for Subtle - Open.jpg
    S is for Subtle - Open.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 214
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

I just made my first ebonite pen a while back and could not get a shiny finish on it. Someone responded and then posted up a thread on how to finish ebonite. He is a pipemaker and apparently uses a lot of ebonite. Check it out. Great looking pen by the way.

pipecrafter

I just made my first ebonite pen a while back and could not get a shiny finish on it. Someone responded and then posted up a thread on how to finish ebonite. He is a pipemaker and apparently uses a lot of ebonite.

That might be the understatement of the year! :biggrin:

The tutorial is here if anyone is interested:
http://www.pipecrafter.com/articles/finishing_ebonite.php

If I wasn't clear on anything, send me an email and I'll answer any questions.

Top Bottom