Russian Olivewood Statesmen.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

I've been cranking again, trying to finish some fountain pens for a show. I added some in my album. If I had to pick a favorite out of the batch that I finished, It was a toss up from the Russian Olivewwod or Mesquite Burl, both from BB. This was my choice. Thanks for looking.

2005212212940_DSC01398.jpg

PS. You know it's raining here when you see this many pens completed. Stay tuned for 6 new castings from Cave Creek Casting :D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Tough call Tony, I would have picked the Olive also...
I have some stabilized mesquite and some stabilized spalted pecan coming from BB... he said the stuff he just got in is some of the best he has ever had.. real eye candy... I can't wait to see it.. going to use it on a couple of sterling silver Barons after I practice on a gold Baron with some other eye candy...

PenWorks

Tom, BB's wood, can make anybody look good. He has some prime stuff. Must be that Arizona connection.

Jake, the Cave Creek Casting is just a name I made up for my resins I cast, so not to confuse with commercially bought resins.

Thanks for the comments.

Deere41h

Wow....That is one nice looking pen. I love the Russian Olive. I just recieved some from BB. Now I can't wait to turn it. You have done a spectacular job on it. Would you share with us the finish you used?

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Another beautiful pen, Anthony...great job..[:)]

...on another note, how many different varieties of olive wood are there: Bethlehem Olive Wood, Russian Olive Wood, and the Greece Olivewood, we saw listed last night..and they all seem different and all are fantastic looking woods..?[?]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Olives are classified in the division Magnoliophyta, class Magnoliopsida, order Scrophulariales, family Oleaceae. At a mimimum, I have been able to identify 60 olive tree varieties. There are probably many more, since most scholars believe that the olive tree was the first tree raised for primarily economic reasons. It was exported around the world and varieties can be found on six of the seven continents.
Originally posted by penhead
<br />...on another note, how many different varieties of olive wood are there: Bethlehem Olive Wood, Russian Olive Wood, and the Greece Olivewood, we saw listed last night..and they all seem different and all are fantastic looking woods..?[?]

PenWorks

John, I had no clue you made stuff from olive wood till I came to IAP. I was brought up to eat em, with olive oil, vinigar, & spices [:D] If it's an olive I'll eat it, love em. [:p]

Lou, you & Fred NC are walking dictionaries. [:)] Why don't you guys team up and go on Jeapordy [;)]

Deere, the last batch of pens I posted today, were all finished with several coats of sanding sealer along with 4 coats of Enduro. Except the BOW, that was Mylands Friction polish.

Fred in NC

Anthony, thanks, BUT I am just used to doing web searches. [8D]
Not all my answers come from my head, OK ? I just believe in finding the facts, and I don't accept anything as true just because it is on a web page. Or a forum, for that matter !!! [:eek:)]

melogic

Beautiful pen Anthony! I think I'm in love with these statesman pens. I have some really nice woods from BB as well. I think I'm going to turn another Statesman out of Birdseye Bocote.

WoodChucker

Anthony, both of those pens are really nice, I'd have a hard time if I had to pick between the two. But I think I'd go with the Olive-wood too, I think. [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom