Russian Olive Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

Here is a gun metal cigar dressed in Russian Olive. I tried to maximize the sapwood (lighter colored wood) and ended up with a little bit of bark left on the pen right near the center band. What's you thoughts on the bark? Would you consider it a flaw or something that adds a little character to the pen? Looking foward to some feedback. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0195.JPG

IMG_0196.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick P

Nice pen.......many work very hard to get that kind of character in there pens! Think about all the "how do I turn antler with some of the "bark" showing" posts we see or the number of posts bragging about a cool inclusion!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Good going Derek. It certainly makes the pen more interesting and, does add character in my opinion. Anxious to see what's next.:biggrin:

SDB777

I've actually got a few pieces of nothing but bark somewhere in the 'stock-o-stuff-to-turn'. Why throw it into the burn-barrel when it's big enough to make a blank out of?

I guess you've figured out that I like the bark on.....

Scott (my dog barks funny) B

robutacion

Here is a gun metal cigar dressed in Russian Olive. I tried to maximize the sapwood (lighter colored wood) and ended up with a little bit of bark left on the pen right near the center band. What's you thoughts on the bark? Would you consider it a flaw or something that adds a little character to the pen? Looking foward to some feedback. Thanks for looking.

A flaw...????

If that is considered a flaw then, 99% of my turnings have "huge" flaws...!

No sir, that is not a flaw, is a feature that represents something that you don't see much in pen blanks, particularly, Olive wood of ant kind...!

So, the pen is just fine...!

Russian Olive is certainly very different that the most common European Olive woods, as far as I'm concerned, any Olive wood species is good enough for me...!

Cheers
George

Old Lar

Looks good to me. Russian olive is plentiful in your area and you made good use of it.
We should try to get together some time.

Top Bottom