Rushmore 3D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Here is another of our 3D blanks- Rushmore. This is a hard one to get a good photo of. This will give you the idea. CA finish.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

It looks pretty cool, but I can just barely make out the image. I'm sure it looks a lot better in person.

greenmtnguy

Local Chapter Leader
Changed the photo to show detail better. Chris, it is lasered in 3D on Maple. Painted the total blank Black and sanded lightly to remove paint from the raised areas. CA finish.

bgibb42

It does look cool, but...

I found it hard to make out. Maybe it's just me, or maybe the photo's too dark, but my first thought when I finally made out the image was that I was looking at one of those puzzles you have to stare at for awhile, then see a picture inside a pattern, which I never can.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It does look cool, but...

I found it hard to make out.

Probably has to do with the shine on the pen. Shooting high gloss does
present some challenges.

Here's two pics without a finish. You can make out the image easier.

(on a raw, unpainted blank, you can't tell WHAT it is :eek: )
Interesting to start sanding and see the photo appear.

Attachments

• Rush.jpg
    Rush.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 529
  • rush2.jpg
    rush2.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 132

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I wonder if it makes a difference what type of screen you see that image on? I can see the original pic perfectly clearly ( on my laptop) and the 'depth' between Roosevelt and Lincoln really shows off the 3D effect superbly. Well done guys, it looks like you are having loads of fun with that new toy. I want one!!!! ( the machine, that is ):biggrin:

bgibb42

I wonder if it makes a difference what type of screen you see that image on?

I think that it does. Even with the pictures Charlie posted, I still think the blank is dark and hard to make out. I can see it; it's just not well defined on my monitor.:frown: I really like the concept, and I imagine it looks WAY better in person.

Just my $.02.:)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It does look much better in person, and I'm not just saying that. When you hold it,
you naturally move.. and the lighting changes the shadows as your hand moves so
the 3D effect is more noticeable.
Might be monitor related .. I can see both of them pretty clearly on mine..

I wish there was one standard for monitor calibration on PC's like there is on a Mac

bitshird

I don't see anything either. Just a real shiny blank that has a nice greyish tone to it.

You have to really look closely, at first it just looked like a bunch of broken rocks but once you see the first face the others fall in, I think it's the curvature of the pen that makes it hard to distinguish the faces. That is one heck of a finish!!!

Top Bottom